Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Prairie 700... few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Prairie 700... few questions

Hey just picked up my 700. Have a few questions.

Any common problems that I should look out for ?
Anything I need to have changed immediately ?

These stock tires are absolutely horrible.
I do fast trail riding, (CC, harescrambles and some drag racing), What tires should I get ? I like the bighorns and the itp ATRs.. Any other suggestions ? I need a 6 ply tire that is light comparably and hooks up well.

I have already ordered a dynatek cdi.

What spring do you think would be best for me ? Ive done some research and the orange/blue sounds good, but for my type of riding would it work or is there something better ? Is the Overdrive cover worth getting or a waste of money for me ?

A hmf exhaust and different airbox and such are planned for the future. '

I have removed both the racks and the front bumper, anything else I can do to make it lighter besides losing weight myself ?

Thats all I can think of right now. Let me know if there is anything else I should look into.

Thanks !

Old 12-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

A big problem I find is first you can not find enough seat time! check engine mount bolts. Also most jetting is off from factory. Keep an eye on your gear adjuster when new. I recommend the Dalton spring kit, no personal experience with orange but I like the blue. The springs should be done right from new. The first service is very important. Overdrive? for reverse? if so you need to find the wires by your rad cap and put a switch there. I know people like atrs but I would look at 25 mudlights, I don't race though. If you store it inside and you have cold weather you will want to look into the breathing system on your gas tank. I would alos become experienced on your belt reseting procedure so you know what to do when it goes off. I think you need to support the front struts when you take the front rack off. Look into the dregree key. Good luck Happy trails.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

There is no real problems from the factory , jetting seems to be perfect , no real complaints , geat shifter also is fine on the prairie 700's I would put ATR radials , I had the on my prairie and now on my BF , love them , one of the best if not the best trail tire made , handles speed better than any mus tire for sure.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the responses.

KAwi650, Overdrive cover is in the clutch actually covers the primary spring. Not the reverse over ride. The dyna cdi eliminates the reverse limiter and the belt trip and advances timing. I do not need mudlights, I had them on my death machine(grizzly) and they are not good for anything but nasty stuff. What about supporting the front struts ? Where have you seen this ?

Jeffro, how do the ATRs hookup in drag races ? what about high speed turning ? have a hard time keeping the rear from breaking loose ?

Keep the info coming !

Old 12-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

The front rack is the connection point/brace for the front struts. You just have to make a bar that will make the connection, it will be much lighter than the rack.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you know what your talking about custom. Know of anyone that makes a strut tower brace ? Do you make one by chance ?

Old 12-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

ATRs hookup fair, and slide reasonably well. The 25" ATRs have a better "shape" to them than the 26" ATRs do, with the rear tires being a bit wider and flatter, so they tend to work better for sport riding. I would think that Badlands XTRs may be even better though. The rear Badlands XTR tires are a pound lighter than the same size ATRs, and five pounds lighter than Bighorns. And the front Badlands XTRs are four pounds lighter than the same size ATRs, and eight pounds lighter than the same size Bighorns. That means that a set of XTRs will weigh about 26 lbs less than a set of Bighorns, which is quite a bit of unsprung weight.

OL

Old 12-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

The ATR's hook up awesome , much better than a badlands would , these tires are a true sport tire , that is why you see holeshot or similar tread design tires on sport quads, they made a huge difference going through and coming out of corners , a lot less wheel spin but it is much harder to do donuts with then on a prairie and near impossible on my BF with them. I have a friend that had a set of bighorns , they would easily be my 2nd choice after the ATR's . I have the 25 inch on mine. The few extra pounds make no difference to the big kawie v-twins.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

what about clutch springs and the overdrive cover ? anyone know anything about that ?

Old 12-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have used different springs in my old prairie 650's , I have not installed any in my BF , calll EPI they are very good , just tell them what you are looking for or just go to there site , but I am one of those guys that believes if its not broke don't fix it , if you have a real problem with the belt pulley setup then change but I would not change just for the sake of saying I have this in my ATV .

Quick Reply: New Prairie 700... few questions