Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

help me tune the prairie one more time.........carbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me tune the prairie one more time.........carbs

Ok guys. I'm getting the prairie dialed in ............... i think. I ripped the Dial-a-jets out after a long and frustrating battle. Went down three jet sizes and was STILL to RICH!!! I put the stock jets back in (138/142).

Here are my mods. Modified intake (NAPA snorkle), ProCircuit Type496 Full exhaust, Highlifter ICM, shimmed needles approx .030, stock jetting.

With those mods and stock jetting I should be LEAN.........read on. It seems as though I'm still RICH. The exhaust smell very rich.

These are the symptoms of my sick prairie. Difficult to start. Once started it revs VERY slowly. Pin the throttle and it'll just die. Feather the throttle for a bit and the exhaust pops and cracks and puffs smoke until it clears its throat. Then it'll rev normal but smells rich. It will not lift the front end at will. If if revs right it will loft them but the way i'm set up it should loop over backward with just a stab of the throttle. I don't have much room around the house to really get into the Main Jet circuit but up the alley i can get to 42mph before i have to lift.......seems to be no hesitation or studder when i'm accelorating but off idle is spits and stumble often.

Here is my thoughts/what i'm gonna try next. It seems that the idle circuit is fat (rich). The idle is controled by the pilots and mixture screws, Correct??? I'm gonna try turning the mixture screw in one turn each to see if the problem get better or worse. I know for a fact i was way fat because i replaced the plugs. The ones i pulled were black. The ones i put in were the original plugs that had been fouled after the DAJ installation and cleaned up.

I'm getting pretty close to just giving up and selling for a big lose. Am i on the right track?

thanks
cart

Old 12-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Cartman,

You are on the right track. If your quad is stumbling, hesitating, at idle/ low speed, that is affected by the air screw (mixture screws). I have heard people talking about where to set them on multiple posts/ forums. Anywhere from 2.5 - 3.5 turns out. Try turning them back in a 1/4 turn at a time. Keep doing this until you get improvement. Then go another 1/4 turn, and another, etc.. until improvement stops and go back to last setting. Remember, 1/4 turn at a time, and I adjust them both together. Good luck. I would not give up on the quad, it just takes patience to get it dialed in correctly. I still play w/ mine, from time to time, as the cold weather (7 degrees Farenheit last night ) sometimes makes it idle bad and then I have to turn out the screws a 1/4 turn or so.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the response! I'm not going to give up easily (heck i been tongin with it over a year now)......especially when it'll wheelie running like it is. the thing is just brutal when it wants to be. Looks like it's going to rain all day so i prolly won't get to monkey with it till this weekend.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Cartman308,
Try this; start with the front air screw. Turn it all the way in bottom it out, turn it out 2 1/2 turns. Start the engine make sure it is warmed up and the air box lid on with what ever filter you have on the carbs. Turn in the air screw keeping count of the turns till the engine bogs down make note of the turns out from bottom eg. 1 1/2. Turn out the screw untill the engine speeds up fast it will speed up slightly after bogging it down then as you turn out the screw it will speed up a noticeable amount make note of the turns out, eg 3 3/4 turns out. Now add the turns eg 1.5 + 3.7 = 5.2 then devide this number by 2 and that will be total number of turns out from bottom, eg 5.2 / 2 = 2.6 or roughly 2 1/2 turns out. From this setting you can fine tune the carb by 1/4 to 1/2 turn no more. The only time you install washers on the needles is when the motor runs a little flat in the mid range.

If the motor stumbles in midrange and is blowing black a little then take away the washers on the needles. You say you are running a little rich most of the time with occasional good power. I would tend to believe you are having problem with the choke if not on both possibly on one of the carbs. I had nothing but trouble with my choke on my older 650 mostly because of th 180* bend I eventually had to eliminate the choke cable. Canadian bikes have a plunger on the carbs this aids the starting circuit in cold weather. I tried new cables from Kawi with no luck if you can rig up another cable that would work from under the seat area ending down to the pull start that would get rid of the 108* bend just a thought. I was going to do this modd but I found the plunger worked very well. Not sure if this helps short of a stick of dynomite or a horse shoe trial and error making notes is the only solution.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Range Rover

great info alltoys!! Cartman308 ,give this a read JETTING goodluck! m/m

Old 12-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

thanks alot for the help guys! much apprieciated. now just need time and decent weather to cooperate......

l8r
cart

Old 12-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

another question. My idle speed **** is truned to the fastest setting so that it would idle. Should i turn it in before i start messing with the mixture screws?

Old 12-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Cartman 308,
Yes, PM sent.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a couple of links to help you out.
http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/jetting.htm
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html

Old 12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

thanks alot alltoys..............me and carbs just aren't jiving..............just imagine the mess i could make out of EFI [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

cart

Quick Reply: help me tune the prairie one more time.........carbs