Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

87 mojave

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 mojave

huskerjim,
This is Gump's dad again. I read your comments concering 87 Mojaves.
Here is what we have done so far to the unit since purchase.
Bored cylinder.
Complete piston and kit
Heavy duty clutch
timing chain and gears and tensionsers
oil pump
water pump
gaskets etc.
The mechanic that did the work inspected all parts you mentioned and said all was o kay. The unit now runs very well. If I can keep Gump out of the boggs we may have a winner. My concern as you mentioned is they are not mud freindly. We now have as much in it as when it was new. Bottom line too far to turn back now. The shocks and suspension are nice and tight. The bearings you mentioned in the rear, are there any pre warning signs of any problems we can look for? And are there any high dollar issues other than what you mentioned we have not covered. It appears the previous owner did not abuse it that bad and I think with the light duty use " Non Racing" we intend on it may give us good service. I would appreciate any thoughts you can share. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default 87 mojave

Grump91, what mojave doesn't have is any, none, not a one zerk fitting that was a big complaint in the late 80's when i owned one.
put a jack up under the rear swing arm, yes you will have just a slight side to side movement (normal). What you are looking for from the rear of bike does it have any movement up and down from side to side? any movement ? If their is it is not good news will need a new set of bearing, what is good news it they are inexpensive and you can do it yourself. two bearings two seals, remove brake assembly, if not already removed, remove hubs or right hub looking from the rear, remove large lock nuts with a 2by4 piece wood and hammer hit the axle on the right slowly pushing it out, it will push the out were the bearings are exposed they look alot like wheel bearings in a car not real big deal, if the bearings aren't bad repack them "saltwater grease" only this grease last up to 10 times longer with out washing out with mud and water it acually repels water better then regular wheel bearing grease can buy it in some not most auto parts stores. when you reinstall, remember the seal are very important to replace them too. Happy riding.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default 87 mojave

huskerjim,
Thanks so much for the info. It is such a treat to talk with someone who has been there done that. My son was really getting discouraged after all the time money and effort we did to make the unit as trouble free as possible. Again we sure do appreciate all your help.
Gump Sr.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 87 mojave

[quote]
Originally posted by: huskerjim
Originally posted by: mRt86

Ok, 87's had weak valves so they are usally mushroomed the intake cam is usally wiped too. For the valves made them prewear before their time, I would say it's worth about $500 max I bought one here from a guy locally for a young friend of the family and yes it didn't idle right and the first sign it's toasted on the top end...and don't kid yourself and try to make excuses if it don't idle right or it feels like their is a carb problem...intake cam is wiped, so a intake cam $125 threw kawie valves intakes $29 each the exhaust will usally be fine. their you go I hope that gives you insight, I used to race these things in the late 80's and know everything their is to know about them, PS the shocks are wiped to for they all leaked and ride like log wagons you will need a set for the frt at least or you will hurt your self riding threw rough terrain.
My 01 and my neighbors 00 have had these same problems..........Some things never change.