Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Fixing a "Tippy" Brute

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing a "Tippy" Brute

I'm interested in getting my Brute to turn like my buddy's P650. I love the way that bike slides the turns. I know I'm asking for the best of a few worlds here but I think I have and idea that may get it close, just want to run it by y'all and see if anyone's ever tried it on a quad. I understand that the P650 slides the truns due to the swingarm and straight axle and that my BF feels "tippy" due to the IRS allowing a little body roll. This weekend I'll be adding C-wheels and 26" Dirt Devils which will help but what about this:

Could I effectively stop the body roll by using two short pieces of chain to limit the downard travel of the rear axles? One end of the chain attached to the chassis and the other attached as far outboard near the wheel as possible. This would allow independent movement of the wheels upward to absorb bumps and such but would restrict body roll due to the chain on the right tighteneing up and limitting the leftward pitch of the body in a right hand turn and verse visa for a left turn. This is a popular practice in stock car racing but then again that's all left turns so you only need one chain. The only apparent problem I see with this idea is that it would restrict downward movement of the rear suspension and may cause some adverse effects when jumping, rock crawling, etc. What do you think?

Thanks and God bless,

-BunnMan

Old 12-24-2004, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

here is what a few ppl have done. 1. since you are buying c- series wheels, get them with a wider offset. that would give you more track width. 2. a couple ppl have also taken out ( i think) 2" in the seat. they had a interior shop trim the foam down and reaply the seat cover. which would give you a lower center of gravity. as for the chains it might work, i dont know. the only bad thing i can think of, is it would be possable that they get caught up and not alow you travel. and they would be very noisy.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

the chain setup would be like that on a snowmobile...less strap..lower ride...more strap hi ride...this sounds effective but i would use something other than chain...what do monster trucks run...chain or strap...then find some of that...Great Idea

Old 12-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BunnMan
Could I effectively stop the body roll by using two short pieces of chain to limit the downard travel of the rear axles? One end of the chain attached to the chassis and the other attached as far outboard near the wheel as possible. This would allow independent movement of the wheels upward to absorb bumps and such but would restrict body roll due to the chain on the right tighteneing up and limitting the leftward pitch of the body in a right hand turn and verse visa for a left turn.
Thanks and God bless,
-BunnMan
If you limit the downward travel you will effective take away any advantage the IRS gave you. (You wouldn't want chain, you would use straps, anyway). The sway bar is there to reduce the sway/tippyness, but doesn't do the job adequately.
I've posted this before, and been shot down by BF owners for insinuating that there could be any sort of a handling issue with the BF, but I'll post it again:
wider rims/tires will mask some of the problem, but the root cause is still there. Why doesn't someone investigate the possibility of retro-fitting a heavier swaybar from a Polaris Sportsman to the BF, or have a custom sway bar built? Another possibility would be to toss the rubber sway bar bushings and cut some new ones out of urethane to replace them.
I'll be hung out to dry for bringing this subject up again. When someone does come up with a fix, the naysayers who said there is no problem with their BF's handling will be climbing over themselves trying to get this latest suspension mod, and then claim it's the greatest advance since someone built the first module for the P650. In the meantime, when racing a KingQuad be sure to stay in the fields and open roads where you can use the huge BF power advantage, because he will lose you on the trails.
Let the ranting begin.........

Old 12-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

novakaw650, what is wrong with that? dont worry what they say, if they reply and you dont like it dont answer.

you naysayers know it is true, you will be the first ones buying it.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Nova,
I am inclined to believe you after riding the BF. Do you think if the A arms were extended this might help. My buddies BF we were going to add ITP wheels plus wheel spacers initialy till I can make new A arms for him. This would make the machine wider would this help? I am also curious how you fixed the carb situation I remember you posting about this before. Also your air box modds. We were riding the other day in a field with fresh powder snow his air box filled up almost as if it were poured in it filled so neat. Poor motor started to sputter of course this is a good reason to back out of a race, lol. Hey don't worry about the naysayers I have taken a bunch of flack on this site and others because I posted the truth it's good to hear from all sides keep up the good work.

PM sent!

Old 12-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

if you want to hang and slide with a prairie why didnt you buy a prairie? the brute just wasnt designed for that. just my opinion

Old 12-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I put C series rims to widen mine and I don't have a handling issue. I ride with a bunch of different utility quads and they all run the same speed through the woods. are you guys running hare scrambles or something at high rates of speed to complain about it's handling? I just don't see where it handles any different than any other big ute I've ridden.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I've never ridden a BF with wider offset rims, just a stocker. But I spent considerable seat time on Sportsmans and there was no comparison in the handling between the two. The Polaris was better than the BF, in both ride and handling. We had the suspension preload cranked up on the BF to reduce the body roll slightly, and that made the ride harsh. The Sportsman feels very close to a SRA when cornering fast, IMO

Old 12-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris is definitely king of the road as far as a plush ride, but once you widen the Brute's stance the body roll goes away. it's as stable as the next quad, at least as far as normal trail riding. I dont do hare scrambles so I wouldn't know about sliding the rear end around lol.

Quick Reply: Fixing a "Tippy" Brute