Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dirt Devils ...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Sox
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Devils ...?

Hi guys
I want to and a little more trackion to my 700 Prairie , I don't ride that much mud , more coal , sand and dirt . I was wondering if any one stagers tire size's . I was thinking of going with a 26-12-12 and run a lower air presure .
I would like to mount them on stock rims , at the very least I will change the front to 26-10-12 , I know on trucks the tires should be the same size.
Has any one used Highlifter rims ...?
Whats up with slime , I see it on a lot of posts with dirt devils ..? Do these tires have a leaking problem at low presure.
Thanks Guys
Greg
2004 700 Prairie

Old 12-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirt Devils ...?

mine never leak.... i like my dirt devils i'm going to get the 26-10-12 the whole way around next time prob. very good all around tired mite want to try the bear claws though

Old 12-28-2004, 01:35 AM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Devils ...?

I would NOT recommend Dirt Devils for your Prairie. However the 26x12x12 size in the rear with 26x10x12 in the front is a great combination. The 26x10x12 tires have a more rounded lateral profile which is better for steering stability and control. The 26x12x12 size has a more squared off lateral profile and puts more tread to the ground for better traction and provides more stability when you are sliding the rear end around.

As for the Dirt Devils, I feel your Prairie would overpower these tires and you may find yourself dealing with excessive wheel spin and loss of traction more often than you'd want. I would however recommend a set of Gators (also made by GBC as are the Dirt Devils) in the above mentioned size (similar profile to the Dirt Devil, same 6 ply toughness, however the tread design is different and will offer you better traction, especially in loose terrain conditions such as on those coal piles you guys have up there and also in snow).

The 26x12x12 (rear) and 26x10x12 (front) Gators fit fine on my stock Brute Force wheels so I would think the same would be true for the Prairie (but I'd rather hear comfirmation from a Prairie owner). I have the same size Dirt Devil tires mounted on C-Series wheels on my Grizzly. You can see what these rear tires look like here (Gators) on the Brute, and here (Dirt Devils) on the Grizzly.

The Dirt Devil is a better choice for machines that aren't blessed with the power that those Kawasaki V-twins produce as they are relatively easy to break loose on demand for power sliding when you don't have V-twin power driving those wheels...

Old 12-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Devils ...?

I have the 26" Dirt Devils I have no problem with tire spin. For such an aggressive tread they ride really smooth. But for your type of riding , i would go with the Big Horns[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Range Rover
Default Dirt Devils ...?

Sox
I dont know much about dirt devils, but I do know that I would not run without SLIME in any tire
check my page........I got a tire with 4 plugs in the sidewall to fill a 3/4 inch cut
It dont matter which tire you run....they all get holes

Kasi

Old 12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Devils ...?

I ran the dirt devils 26-10-12s in both the front and rear and found over stock there 100% better. For mostly coal, sand and dirt there a fine tire, But like 2TV said you will get better hook up with the gators and even those they look more like a Mud tire they do make a good all around as well. (I think maybe even a little tougher then the devils?) Where do you ride in Pennsylvania were there is ALL coal, sand and dirt?? Where I mostly ride up there it seems to be Rock City?-lol And for me the devils didn't hold up as well as would who have accepted in Pa? I would think the Radial Big Horns would be the tire for up there?

kawakasi~ Why do you like the Slime so much? did It stop the 3/4 inch cut?? Its just my opinion but I always thought it was kind of a waste? It might stop a pin hole, maybe a nail? but most of what you'll get out on the trails will need a plug/s? I Have used the fix a flat as a way to have a pump on the trail but never really thought any of the sealant really worked all that well? ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com
785VForce
Prairie700

Old 12-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirt Devils ...?

mine never got a hole in them also kawasaki what have you done with your 03 kodiak will you please name the mods tires etc

Old 12-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Range Rover
Default Dirt Devils ...?

Marylandatv
When I hit the culvert with my front tire and tore the sidewall, I was about a mile from town
By the time I got to town there was still air in it...not much...but I could still drive it...THANK YOU SLIME
Dont get me wrong here....slime doesnt stop the tire from leaking...just slows it down BIG TIME

Kaw rules
The kodiak has Black Widow tires [not my choice....my girlfriends] on powder coated stock wheels,
EPI secondary spring, a temp guage, and a piece of heavy wire to bypass the "press foot brake
to shift into and out of reverse"

Kasi

Old 12-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Sox
Trailblazer
Default Dirt Devils ...?

Thanks for all the in put guys , I think I'm going to go with the 26x12x12 in the rear and 26x10x12 in the front . I had a Kodiak 400 a few years ago ...It was a good quad but when I put a big tire kit with blackwaters ...It rode and steered like total crap with them tires .
6 ply is great , but rides a little hard ..atleast the ones I had .
I rode a Prairie yesterday with the Dirt Devils ...It rode pretty nice and the steering was ok too.
Thanks guys
Greg

Old 12-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Devils ...?

Sox
I'm running 12" Holeshot ATRS up front and 25" 12 X 12.5" Mudmachine Tri Claws on the rear.

Instant bite on Hardpack, grass, or soft stuff. Handles & powerslide great. True a 4-ply but if you want traction they are hard to beat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

TuffEnuff

Quick Reply: Dirt Devils ...?