Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV Newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Newbie...

Hey guys/gals just found the site. I also found a '99 Prairie 400 2X4. Loads of fun thus far. I do have three questions. The manual states a valve adjustment every 90 days of use? Would this mean 8 hr. days or 720 hours. I figure it is about 6 years old now, so 120 hours per year or 10 hours per month every month for six years. I know it hasn't had that much use, so when is the right time to drop $120 bucks to have them adjusted? Number two- the front metal stock rack has two threaded connection points towards it's rear facing the handlebars. What were these for? Finally, the stock silverish paint is lifting off the rims. Is that common? I figure sandblast and repaint, maybe black. Thanks for your anticipated replys...great site...Brent

Old 01-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Newbie...

As far as the valves, Ive had mine done at 10 hours, probably didnt need it, and now they are making a bit of noise at 140 hours, so im going to have it done again. My dealer gets 60 bucks to check and adjust valves, so i would shop around. That equals about every 3 years for me. If your rims are steel, they should be easy to paint, but I would find a powdercoating place and have it done good, so you know it wont come off. My stock rims were alluminum, but i dont know what year they switched. its harder to get paint to stick to alluminum. Shouldnt cost too much though. My racks are plastic, but underneath there holes threaded like you describe, its where some tie down loops attatch, maybe your missing them? good luck.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV Newbie...

Thanks for the reply. The rims are steel so repainting shouldn't be a problem. The connection points on rack have plastic plugs so I think they were meant for accessories? I should probably bite the bullet and have the valves adj but will shop for lower price per your advice. I was also wondering why they went with different size rims and thus tires? Finally, just heard of a 1997 400 4X4 bought new in '98 with only about 20 hrs on it? guy wants $4500 for it. Pretty high but I might check into it..Brent

Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Newbie...

Usually the first valve job is crucial since you are just breaking them in. To tell you the truth, as long as you keep your air cleaner clean and take care of the engine, you don't need to get the valves adjusted everytime the manual says its time to. I'd wait till your quad is hard to start or is makin some noise. Most people don't keep their aircleaner clean and thats what eats up your valve adjustment. Check carb boots too. Engines dont run good on DIRT!! Good luck!