Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Any known problems w/ 04 Prairie 700?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any known problems w/ 04 Prairie 700?

I'm looking into purchasing a couple of different bikes but the P 700 is top on my list and I may find one used and consider a purchase. I was curious if there are any known common problems w/ the Prairie 700 as of yet. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

They have been out since early 2001, and as a whole have had very few problems. I have a 2002 that I bought in the spring of 2002 and have had no problems, and have road it harder and farther than any quad I have ever owned. I guess the most common thing that comes to mind about the current 2004 and 2005 prairies is loose fuses in the fuse box. Out 6 of these quads in our group only one has had this happen and all we had to do was pull the fuse and reseat it to fix. It was not the kind of problem that leaves you stranded just causes the 2wd,4wd lights to blink back and forth. So far this is the only thing to happen to one of these quads, out of all 6 of these quads we own, and that's it.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

hhmm, it hauls ***.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I've ridden mine hard for a year and a half and have had nothing that I would call a problem. After way too much water and mud one weekend I had the fuse issue with 2wd / 4wd but at least I was stuck in 4wd for the rest of the weekend. Then when I got home and read the forum I pulled the fuse cleaned it and all was good. Depending on how and where you ride the stock tires would need to be upgraded and the stock skid plates if you bash around on the rocks. Other than pure performance mods you would have a great machine at that point. The options for more performance inclide a CDI or module, clutch spring changes etc...

Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Nice colorado pic's Mike. Are some of those shots taken around the Pitkin area. They look very familure to me. Especialy the shot by the open gate.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 minor problems that I've had on my P650 and see them often on these atv forums for other P650/P700s.

1) Seals tend to leak a little more frequently than I'd prefer (i.e., typical leaks occur at the rear axle seal, motor seals near the front drive shaft, front diff seal, etc.). Its not a big deal, but something to be aware of; and

2) The actuator motors tend to go out on both the 2wd/4wd and the KEBC and this is not a cheap part to replace if its not under warranty.

Overall, these are very reliable machines and I'm very satisfied with my Prairie which now has about 1500 miles on it in 1.5 years (hard miles including 9 XC races).

Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

cc1999,

The picture at the gate is just outside of Vega Lake State Park on the western slope as are the other ones with the fall aspens. The others are various - Red Cone mountain - near Breckenridge/Montezuma, Piaute Trail - Utah, Kremmling - BLM and private land

Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

We made 4 trips out to Colorado 3 to pitkin/tin cup area and 1 trip back to lake city and the alpine loop. Colorado is one our favorite places to ride. Endless trails and awsome views. Have you ever ridden the pitkin/stelmo/tincup trails? We have started exploring the area last year and road over 1300 miles in colorado trail systems over our 4 trips. It's just hard to beat colorado trials. So the place in your picures is over by the Utah border. Now that I look at it I looks like maybe the elivation maybe a little less than the areas were we have been riding. how late in the year can you ride there. My last trip to pitkin it had started snowing up on the moutain and raining down by the towns we like to froze our buts off in mid september. I would like to find an are out there thats good to ride spring and fall.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

We spent a week in Lake City in September this year - more snow & cold than I would have liked for those high passes but we had a great time and loved that area - we will most certainly go back. There is no shortage of riding here its a matter of finding the area that has the type you like and enogh to keep you busy. I have only ridden a little in the tin cup area as once we got atv's & a motorhome I did not want to go over cottonwood pass to get there driving that big of a rig. I have camped and 4x4'd that area for years and love it!

The area outside Vega State park is a great area to ride - mostly ATV trails and you can camp/rent a cabin in the state park - ask abotu ATV rules in the park. That area is maintained by the Western Slope ATV club http://www.wsatva.org . I'm not sure on the riding season but most of the altitudes are in the 6-10,000 foot range.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

I the others left this one out

KEEPING THE FRONT WHEELS ON THE GROUND OR RUBBER ON THE TIRES!!

Quick Reply: Any known problems w/ 04 Prairie 700?