Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kawasaki 650 4x4 mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kawasaki 650 4x4 mode

well the problem is only in 4wd, when i hear the noise, not 2wd, but there is loss of speed from what it use to have im 2wd, im not sure really what im looking for when i take of the belt cover ???. a friend of mine has the same kind of bike, he had to put a new clutch, hoping is not that, so were are these cogs at, do they break and make the noise, god so many things to go wrong, i think 4000km is like 2486 miles but not sure either.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Oh sorry I forgot about the 4wd only part.I do know that some of the guys that are getting miles on theirs have had to replace teh bushings in their drive and driven pulleys.There are two in the driven pulley and two in the drive pulley.You have to buy the clutch cover on the drive pulley to get the outer bushing and also need a puller.
I suggest you check out NYROCS site.There are pics in there and it will give you a better idea what you are facing.
The cogs are just a part of the belt.The belt has slits in it and in between are the cogs but that is probably not your problem.Have you noticed it knocking louder from the belt cover at idle especially when cold?? thats a sign that the bushings on the drive pulley are getting loose.
02 650 camo

Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

i never heard any knocking, but i really never got down and really listen to it ....but. i did smell a funny smell, over this 4wd was going crazy when i stopped it, ill get a better look at it 2morrow see what i find out when i take the belt cover off, so replaceing all these bushing sounds like its gonna cost alot if thats what it is ?

Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

The two bushings and seals in the driven pulley are not much.In the drive pulley the only way to replace the outer bushing is to buy the outer cover which I think is about $50.00.I am not sure how much the inner bushing is.One thing to remember is NOT to turn the key on when you have that belt cover off.
02 650 camo

Old 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

i took the belt cover off,but dont see anything loose, everything felt and looked tight no movement at all ......but the belt looks very loose i can touch the belt together,i would say thats loose right? so this could cause all these problems?

Old 01-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

I went over your posts, & IMO, something is goofy... yes the belt is way too loose, but I don't believe it could have gotten that loose, with out another problem... a sheeve binding, a spring binding, etc... the belt should be fitting tightly in the secondary clutch, & at the very top of the sheeves, & should be fitting reasonably tight in the primary clutch, & at the bottom of the sheeves... your belt would have to be horribly warn or the secondary sheeves sticking & not letting the belt go fully to the top, for the belt to be that loose, IMO...

Old 01-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer

I may be way out in left field here, but are you sure your shifter is adjusted right.....??

What makes me ask is you say it "acts" or "sounds" like it hits a rev limiter.... maybe it's just slipping gears which is a symptom of the shifter being out of whack.....

Anyway, mine just one day decided to go out of adjustment --- dunno why, it just did.... started slipping (rattling) at high speed especially when letting off the gas... made a nasty rattlin' noise like GRRRRRRR

Easy to fix if ya look at the manual or check out Nyroc's pages

Just tossin' out ideas....

Old 01-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

Rattlebars did you ever check your front motor mount bolt.Mine was loose and that lets the engine move up and down whcih does affect the shifter.Alot of guys here had a loose mount and even when tightend it will work itself loose again.It's not the bolt or a locktite deal, it's the block wearing between the ears of the frame.
02 650 camo

Old 01-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Kodiac

No, I have not checked the motor mounts. I will look into it. She just went out one day and that might be it. Thanks for the heads up!!

Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 PM
DOA
Range Rover

My front mount went loose, I noticed the shifter was not putting the neutral light on and that if I pushed forward on it a bit it would light up. The front mount was the problem, they dealer ended up putting a much bigger bolt in(under warranty) and it has held for over 2500kms, just check it and it is as tight as ever.

The loose mount had no effect on my speed whatsoever,

Quick Reply: kawasaki 650 4x4 mode