Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bit By The Air Box Bug-Snorkel Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit By The Air Box Bug-Snorkel Advice Needed.

I want to start by thanking everyone who submits info to theses forums. I have done a lot of searching, but still need some input. I Have also posted this into different forums to get as much feed back as possible.

Well it happened to me. My BF along with a Honda Rubicon and a Polaris SP700 went through some muddy water. We all got stuck, but only the BF had problems on the other side of the trail the Polaris and Honda were just fine. Well come to find out after determining that the front cylinder was not running, b/c it was not getting fuel. So we began to trouble shoot. We determined that fuel was getting to the carb but not into the bowl or the jet. So after some carb cleaner and a little compressed air into the carb I had little muddy water coming out of the bottom of the bowl (where you can remove the allen screw to drain the carbs). So now we have fuel into the bowl, but not up to the jet. After 4 hrs of all this depressing non-sense, I quit, for now.

Questions?

I though about taking it to the dealer but I assume they will not warranty this problem? Even though it’s caused by a poor air box design that everyone is aware of.

If not, I’m going to attempt the repair myself. I have never removed the carbs or opened them to clean them, but I think I can do it. Is this complicated? Is this something I should let the dealer do? I really have no idea what I’m getting into.

Should I purchase a snorkel system or build one? This is a must!!

When I put one on, I may need to re-jet?(i know some snorkel kits say you dont have to.) How will I know (poor performance)? Also how will I know what size jets to use?

Any advise on building a snorkel would be great.

I think that’s all for now. It’s really unfortunate that the air box design is so poor. But I think with some mods this can be solved…..I hope…

Thanks

R

Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit By The Air Box Bug-Snorkel Advice Needed.

If you doused Your BF, Probabaly need to remove your plugs and turn over the engine to ensure no water or get water out of the cylinders. Check your oil & if its milky, Drain & replace your oil and filter. Run the bike and recheck your oil at least a couple of times. Change oil until no longer milky. You'll also need to remove your Carb Bowls & give them a thorough cleaning before you start it. My 02 has a snorkel drain line, don't know about the BF. but you need to look and see & drain it if it does. You also need to remove your plastic CVT/tranny cover & clean the mud out of your clutches & belt & any dry storage areas. Check and clean or replace your airfilter, it probably has mud in it also. Be sure and clean all the mud out of your radiator with a water nozzel on garden hose. Also remove your pull starter housing if the BF has one, and drain the water and clean & dry & re install it.

Also remove your seat and clean all the mud from under seat, top of engine, Swingarm, & around your fuses and check for blown ones. Doing all this should will save you a dozen C-notes and your dealer don't automatically not want to cover anything on your warranty because of abuse. If you take it to him muddy and full of water, mud in your airbox, you don't have a prayer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]