Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?

Pull like a bastard Plainsman!! It pops right out of there. It has a couple little tabs like some electrical connectors do. Pry them out a little and pull it apart. Pull the diaphram, spring and some other little plastic thingy out of there and put it back together and put it back on your wheeler. Done. Took about 5 minutes. Now---------about that gascap!??!

Old 02-02-2005, 09:18 AM
DOA
Range Rover

So let me get this straight,

You can blow through the check valve towards the tank, which would allow air in so it would not crush the tank as in like the beercan effect.

You cannot blow out which would be the way it is vented, would this not mean the tank would blow up if it could not vent or at least blow the lines off? Come on now.

I think maybe it's that you cannot blow three pound pressure to open it, maybe? Could you try with a air compressor and see what happens?

It must release after three pounds or she would blow, your tank would expand like a gas jug from heat and wave action without a release and the check valve stops any gas and fumes from escaping until that much pressure is built. Sounds simple enough.

If you have your petcock shut off how can gas get into your cylinders other than what's in the carbs? There would be no pressure with the petcock off, just wondering? Defective petcock?

Old 02-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

If you have your petcock shut off how can gas get into your cylinders other than what's in the carbs? There would be no pressure with the petcock off, just wondering? Defective petcock?

On all 3 machines? Maybe its where I drive them that makes them screw up or its just a flawed design?

Old 02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DOA
So let me get this straight,

You can blow through the check valve towards the tank, which would allow air in so it would not crush the tank as in like the beercan effect.

You cannot blow out which would be the way it is vented, would this not mean the tank would blow up if it could not vent or at least blow the lines off? Come on now.

I think maybe it's that you cannot blow three pound pressure to open it, maybe? Could you try with a air compressor and see what happens?

It must release after three pounds or she would blow, your tank would expand like a gas jug from heat and wave action without a release and the check valve stops any gas and fumes from escaping until that much pressure is built. Sounds simple enough.

DOA, you see that Masterblaster cleaned it and it flows both ways?

Old 02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

All I can add to this is I have gotten a face full of gas twice from preasure build up in my tank and even had it run bad until I released the presure. I have seen some gas fumes coming out of the vent line (after pulling from the frame) but there was still allot of preasure in the tank.

I'll be doing something different to vent it my self.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

DOA, I have no idea how many PSI I can blow. The wife told me I run at 97 LPM (that's licks per minute). Don't know if I'm high or low on that one either!!!!!LOL!! Can't even put all the crap back in the check valve to try it out as I chucked everything away. Pull yours out and try it. It takes longer to talk about it than it does to pull it out. Give it a whirl.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Mastrblastr,
What's up, you can blow both ways, lick at 97 licks per minute, R&R a check valve. Have you been holding back on us, lmao??

Old 02-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

TOYS!!!!!!!!! How's it going buddy??? Yeah I'm one of those multitalented ****'s!!! (in my own mind!!), but the gate only swings one way in my world!!!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I'll slide over to the dark side for a minute:
The check valve did seem a little complicated to be a simple check valve. I don't have the parts to put mine together again so I can't verify that it doesn't blow off excess pressure. I couldn't blow back through it, but a person can't blow more than a pound or two of pressure (I think). BUT.........even if the valve will bleed off excess pressure, the fuel system is not "pressurized" as a part of it's function. The tank needs no positive air pressure to complete any of it's functions. DOA's tech is still full of crap. We need someone to check a stock valve to verify it one way or another.
BTW- I showed the tech at my local dealer the trick of removing the guts from the check valve over a year ago; now he does the same to any twin that smells like it has gas in the oil.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Mastrblastr,
Yes, multitalented!!!!!

97 licks a minute, lmao!!!! I have a vision of a practice session,.........LOL!!

Keeping ths thread on track. Has anyone tried to unscrew the cap to let the excess pressure out after a ride just thought.

Quick Reply: Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?