Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?

Toys, before I vented my tank I used to crack the cap quite a few times during a ride to relieve the pressure. The first time I changed my oil, I was concerned about the gas smell in my oil and started searching on here for a clue as to what was the problem. There was a few threads on the subject but I decided to leave it alone for the time being and just run it. I ran it with the tank vent system for about 1200kms before I finally decided the damn tank built up so much pressure that it had to be the reason I was getting the gas smell in my oil. Vented the cap and there you have it. Now that I finally decided to have a good look at the vent system, I should have started dickin around with that right from the get-go. Oh well. It works good now and that's all that matters.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I think there is more than 3psi of pressure in my tank every time I loosen the cap..."SWOOSH", definately more than 3psi doing that. Apparently the "Check valve" isn't working properly...whatever. Obviously some have trouble, some dont'. I think it really depends on where you live, what temps, conditions the machine sees, then from there tank level, condition of all hoses, breathers, etc. All I know is, ever since I got in the habit of shutting my gas off, NO PROBLEMO!!!
:cool

Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
DOA
Range Rover

Why is my tech full of crap?

He said it was pressurized, not that it had a function, (other than maybe to help keep the dirt out he said) even a gas jug will pressurize sitting there(duh). Hey, no fumes coming out of my bike(even if flipped over), it's held in with 3 pounds of Kawasaki pressure. How about yours?

You sound like your a little pressurized too maybe, remember to let off steam at 3 pounds or you might hydrolock and blow a gasket.

Maybe an automatic shutoff is in order?

I'm just funnin around with words, I am a Nova Scotian too you know, smile.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Its all about learning more.

Hey I think we stick a hose in masterblaster and see if we can vent him.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

I'm with ya, it would be nice figure this out. But pressure to keep the dirt out sounds rediculous to me. I would definately think the pressure is there more for a function of gas feeding. Guess we'll never know how much it is until some puts a pressure gauge on it. I'd like to figure a way, I'm sure i can. Nothing else I can tap a hole near the cap and put a fitting in there. Thats what I'm saying, some build pressure like in a can, and if your check valve isn't working, then it builds and shoots gas in them motor, thats my theory anyway.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 AM
DOA
Range Rover

To my thinking it is to stop the fumes from escaping and gas too if you tip her over.

3 pounds is a fair amount of pressure, some people only run 3 pounds in their tires, can you imagine if you popped a gas size cover off of them what you would hear, actually you do hear it when you pop one off the rim.

Swosh,

There is nothing wrong with the stock sytem other than having to turn your petcock off because it is under pressure and they fixed that with the Brute via an automatic shutoff.

Give them a little credit,

On my old Bayou the vent tube was missing on the between the legs tank, it would spew fumes in your face big time, I HAD to put a vent line back on it so at least it was out of my face but you know it was still spewing those fumes.

Not my Prairie, she's under pressure.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Plainsman, maybe you didn't read all my posts but I told you already, my gate only swings one way. No way no guy is putting a <u>tube</u> in me!!!!! Unless he's a doctor and I can't breathe or something!! I don't care if the tank is supposed to be pressurized or not. IMO it is a stupid idea that has no purpose. There is no other four wheeler up till now that needed it, so what's it for? Some engineer screwed up (imagine that) and they will give us some crap like "it is to keep the molecular level of the octane sequencing .016 megafacts over the level of the turbovaning". OK then Dr. Spock!!!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

I think this topic has gotten way out of hand. To vent or not To vent that is the question, lol? Personaly I like the idea of gutting the check valve to keep it all internal. Venting the cap can be a problem especially on a tip over. I vented my cap on my previous machines with a long hose but it will smell on warm days. Gutting the check valve still sounds the best.

Mastrblastr,
Having fun yet, lol!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

If venting the cap is such a bad idea, how come Yam does it on all their stuff? I tend to agree it was a safty measure that wasnt thought-out all the way. But hey if thats the worst thing with this quad; then good!

Old 02-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that I stopped reading most of this post... but my 300 Prairie has a vent in the gas cap, with a hose on it, with a check ball, designed to allow air in, but no gas out... but I have never witnessed the tank pressurizing, on the 300, like some have said that their big "P" tanks are doing, & I'd think it would be much more effected by the heat of the motor, being that it is directly above it... I'm assuming that the checkball was put in to keep gas from freely flowing out the cap, if the quad was tipped over, & maybe it doesn't seal really well, only greatly restricks the liquid trying to get out during a roll over... but venting the big Prairies gas cap could be a problem in "the deep"... I have been in mud races, that my gas cap was under the water, on top of the mud I was in...

Quick Reply: Is a Prairie Gas Tank Vented?