Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

The Rock (Dayco Belt?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005 | 08:20 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default The Rock (Dayco Belt?)

Just looking for any new inputs on your Dayco belt test. Last post I seen was from Sept. I blew two belts today and only made it ten miles. Everything was in spec. just the belts aren’t holding up to the pressure. Both times I was WOT for extended run. I think I may go back to OEM belt and carry a Dayco for trail side repair.

Old 01-30-2005 | 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have posted a trial report on the Dayco belt on Nyroc's site. In brief the Dayco belt is crap and it will damage the machine clutches, and maybe the crankshaft, transmission shafts and the rider rider if it locks up the tranny at high speed. All collected reports about the Dayvco belt are the same, they never last very long, they cut grooves in the sheaves and they will not trip the belt failure warning light because they have no top cogs. Get a clutch puller so you can do your own belt adjustments for cheap, and run only OEM belts.

Old 01-30-2005 | 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Stick the the OEM belt.It's only $70.00.THe money saved is not worth the risk.Also,you can change the belt without the puller.Right now I am in the middle of trying to service the bushings in the drive and driven pulley.
02 650 camo

Old 01-31-2005 | 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

Overall yes the Dayco feedback is negative, I for one only got 200mi. out of mine and it blew, and I went back to OEM. But there are a few guys having success with them, so I guess they are really inconsistent. I know one guy who is testing them is "JPSDiving".

Old 01-31-2005 | 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Boggtrotter and Yamihoo

Hey you all, my dayco's have held up just fine. I tend to ride in low range when needed, and haul baxx's in hi range when I get the chance. I have been riding in snow, mud and anything I can stick my quad into, plus hauling loads of wood(not a problem).

The good news for all of you who don't like dayco belts, there is a new atv belt going to be available from a quality producer of Off Road related components. I will also be testing these belts as well and will let you know when they are available( a ball park price was quoted to me of around $55).

Thanks for your support[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2005 | 10:49 PM
Range Rover

Jpsdiving,is there a dayco pt# you recomend.I notice that they three different belts for the prarie's?HP2017 I think is the replacement for the P700,any feed back thanks M/M.
OEM belts are $150+CAD.

Old 01-31-2005 | 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

At the present time I am using the dayco HP2017/700 belt on my wife's 650 prairie with good results. I also tried their HP2018, but felt I got better results with the 700 belt. Kawi has combined their oem belts to combine the 700 with their 650 belt also, so go figure eh.

That sucks that they gouge you for an oem belt eh.

Hey M, what are you doing for clutch springs?

Old 01-31-2005 | 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well if the Daycos $55.00 like someone thought and the OE is $70.00 I think for that small of an amount ($15.00) I would just go with the OE IMO.Now if the diff starts getting above $50.00 then yes I think it's worth a shot but other than the guys posting in this thread overall the opinion of it has not been good.Thats also what I think the concensus in NYROC"S site was.....
02 650 camo

Old 01-31-2005 | 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Oh...one other think to consider.............I know for a fact I can get 1200 miles out of an OE belt and maybe longer.I have not seen any posts where someone has gotten anywhere near that yet out of a DAYCO but then again maybe they have not been out long enough to get that kind of miles yet.So if they don't go that long and you have to buy another one sooner then the savings is a non factor anyway.
02 650 camo

Old 02-01-2005 | 12:03 AM
Range Rover

JPS,
gouging its something you get use to.I just ordered a 700 spring after doing some reading.OEM spring $10 USD = $17.50CAD plus 14% TAX(OUCH)

My local dealer cause of me is just getting hooked up with Dalton,so I can get my secondary($39.99CAD)

belt $142 CAD plus 14%TAX,

The going rate where I live for a P650 - P700 with reasonable milage is 6K-8K

The average big bore are well over 10K

When i first started to price out quads,one of the options I had was an 05 kodiak 450 with plow and winch OTD 10K CAD.

I have my 67 CHEVELLE that i've had for 22 yrs would like to freshen it up,and all the repro parts have to come from USA. After the currancy exchange,TAX, and the duty,WOW broke again!!!

M/M.

When I here the price you guys get stuff for down there it just kills me!!!

Quick Reply: The Rock (Dayco Belt?)