Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Had to post this.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to post this.

This is a great story. Found this over at Kawieriders and thought it should be shared here.

Teen helps rescue man from cabin
70-year-old had run out of food
By BEVERLEY WARE / South Shore Bureau

BEECH HILL - Seventy-year-old Doug Hatt is used to being without lights. After all, his cabin three kilometres back in the woods has no electricity. But when he ran out of food in the midst of the blizzard Sunday, he was worried. It was a 15-year-old boy who came to his rescue. A day off school was no day of rest for Grade 10 student Colin Parker, who gassed up his ATV shortly after 9 a.m. Monday and began the hour-long trek into the woods to bring Mr. Hatt out to safety.
"I was worried to death," said his mother, Cathy, whose husband was killed in a car accident when Colin was just three. But nearly three hours after he first entered the woods, Colin emerged with both Mr. Hatt and his son, who had unsuccessfully tried to bring his father out the day before.
"They're the only ones who could help us," Mr. Hatt said gratefully of the widow and her teenage son.
Mr. Hatt said things weren't bad when his son, Kevin, arrived in his Durango truck around 1 p.m. Sunday to take him to a relative's place. But within an hour, a lot of snow had fallen and the four-wheel drive was stuck. "It took us about an hour of trying to get out, but we got stuck up in the snow. I told Kevin, 'I think you're going to have to carry me home,'" Mr. Hatt said, chuckling. They went back to the cabin where there was plenty of wood for heat and a cellphone and called the RCMP for help. Mr. Hatt said the police told him they had no equipment to get him out. He called other relatives, but the high winds and heavy snow had closed in. Nobody could move. Then he thought of Mrs. Parker, who had bought a set of tracks last summer to go on Colin's ATV. "She calls it their miracle machine," he said. "But they couldn't get in (Sunday), it was just too vicious." The pair waited out the storm overnight, warm but hungry. On Monday morning, Mrs. Parker called to say Colin was going to give it a try. Around 10 a.m., the machine broke through the woods, where Mr. Hatt said the snow had settled in three- and six-metre drifts. "I tell you, he was dressed for winter all right," Mr. Hatt said of the well-insulated rescuer. Colin also has a cab on the ATV, which protected him from the worst of the elements.
"He took us out one person at a time. We were hungry," Mr. Hatt said after finishing a plate of sandwiches at a relative's house in Chester Basin. Mrs. Parker said she worried incessantly while her son was in the woods. Colin called from the cellphone when he got to the cabin and reported he'd got caught up in the snow once but managed to break free. First Colin took Kevin Hatt to the road, where a friend picked him up in a truck. He then drove back to the cabin to pick up Mr. Hatt and began the hour-long trek out of the woods. "I was so glad to see him," Mrs. Parker said when she looked out the window to see the vehicle lumbering towards the house. "I thanked God to see my son home and Dougie safe." But the boy didn't rest for long. Mrs. Parker said he went straight back out, fixed a plough on to the front of his ATV and went about digging out his neighbours - some of them elderly and widowed. "I'm raising him on my own and he's doing well. He works hard," she said. As for Mr. Hatt, who is now enjoying the comforts of modern life at relative's home, "I dream about getting back in there. It's my place, I own it. I don't have much, but everything in it's mine."

Old 02-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to post this.

This is great public relations for the ATV crowd. This took place about 25 minutes from my place, and I can vouch for the snow; we have about 4 feet down! I used to do some gun work for the guy that was trapped in his cabin.