Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

off topic - KLR650

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default off topic - KLR650

The KLR lacks snap and response because of the CV type carb. If you replace the carb with a higher performance pumper style you will gain performance at the loss of gas milage. The different carb is also moe sensitive to altitude and temp changes which is why most owners just stay stock.

The bike will wheelie but it takes popping the clutch or using 1st gear. Helps if the tank isn't full.

I've got the aluminum skid plate on mine along with the center stand. The stand is very handy when cleaning and lubing the chain.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: rockrider
The KLR lacks snap and response because of the CV type carb. If you replace the carb with a higher performance pumper style you will gain performance at the loss of gas milage. The different carb is also moe sensitive to altitude and temp changes which is why most owners just stay stock.

The bike will wheelie but it takes popping the clutch or using 1st gear. Helps if the tank isn't full.

I've got the aluminum skid plate on mine along with the center stand. The stand is very handy when cleaning and lubing the chain.
I was looking at the center stand, does it fit well on the machine? Any interferance? Not sure how it bolts up, so didn't really know if I wanted to put it on or not....

Old 02-24-2005, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

It mounts to where your footpegs go. The kit comes with longer bolts and its easy to install. When folded up is tucks in okay but you do lose some ground clearence. Because it is so close to the rear tire it doesn't matter.

It takes some effort to get the bike onto its center stand. If your a big guy it will be easier. I wasn't able to get my bike onto it when it was parked inside a shop with a painted floor. Still, I think it was worth the money just for chain maintenance alone. The amount of accessories available for the bike is amazing. You could spend a lot of $ pretty quick. I bought the Kawi tank bag and the Dual Star tank panniers last summer but I never installed them to try them out. I also bought a cheap plastic trunk for the rear rack from JC Whitney that works just fine. It's not the best looking but then neither is the KLR so it doesn't matter. There is a guy selling the very same trunk on Ebay for twice the price.

Once thing I noticed about the saddle bags is that because they stick out so far I had a hard time swinging my leg over the saddle. The dealership had a decked out KLR with all the Kawi luggage and I didn't feel comfortable trying the mount the bike. I'd recommend trying before buying.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Rockrider. I got in some tank saddlebags, two sets, one for my ATV and I'll see how the other looks/works on the KLR.

I put on a larger rack in the rear and ordered a rack bag that has plenty of room. I can see how the saddelbags on the rear would get in the way. I think the bags I got will work perfect for what I plan on doing with the machine. I don't plan on riding it from here to Alaska, but I have found articles on other people that did....thats got to be some saddle sores there....I can think of better things to ride across country on. It will be fun for day rides on the weekends. There are still plenty of places in New Mexico I haven't seen, even though I have lived here for 13 years. I still have alot of Colorado to see also.

I'm undecided on the centerstand yet, I'm sure it has some benefits though. I can always use my ATV jack to put the bike up on, its alittle rocky with the KLR sitting on there, but its easy to strap down.

dave

Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

I am trying to make up my mind, either the 650 or a concourse street bike.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: travelor
I am trying to make up my mind, either the 650 or a concourse street bike.
lol...can be a tough choice sometimes as to what we want.....I wanted something mainly to drive to work when the weathe is nice, save on gas mileage, but can ride the back country roads and jump on the numerous dirt roads or trails here....so the KLR fit the bill....gotten colder here now, and almost had record rain for us so far this year, almost 3 inches...lol....doesn't sound like much, but thats alot for the high desert....got a total of 42 miles on the bike....lol

Old 02-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

I like to do the off road thing but also like to ride with the group on highway trips.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

travelor. The KLR can go anywhere the Concours can but not vice-versa. I put about 100k on a 94 Concours and it is the bargain of the full boat touring bikes. So how long of road trips are you thinking about? This could be very important. The KLR is fine for back to back 200 mile days, any more and you may start thinking about a new seat and wind screen.The Concours is the bargin 600 mile day wonder that can run with the sport bikes as well as cross country with the Goldwings. When you are thinking of both apples and oranges the choice is tuff because they are so different and yet each does its own thing very well.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't compare the KLR to a Concours because they are two bikes made for two diffeent things. The longest I rode my KLR is 300 miles. People do set them up for long distance riding and often ride them to AK. Most guys install aftermarket seats and have the tall, goofy looking wind screens. I've noticed that when I ride by myself I generally go 55-60 and the bike is happy. When I go on group rides with friends and faimly who own pure street bikes the speeds are generally 65-75 and while the KLR can do it, it isn't much fun since the bike is wound up tighter and the wind is worse. I wouldn't want to ride 300 miles a those kinds of speeds but that's me.

I wanted to note the other reason I wanted the center stand was to allow for easier tire/flat fixes out in the field.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 1998 Klr 650 and thought what a cool dual purpose bike to have until I took it off road an tried to ride it like it was a kx250! It is great for smooth trails and mild increases in altitude, but don't think for a moment that you are on a capable off road bike. Nice looks, good power and fun to ride in general...I also think it needed a 6th gear as well. I always seemed like I was gonna get another gear (Which never came and felt like it was revving out at 60mph)

I must say that it was relatively easy to sell when I was ready to get rid of it. Within days of putting an ad in the paper it was sold!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: off topic - KLR650