Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

off topic - KLR650

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic - KLR650

Yup! It does everything ....OK.....pretty well......and if it runs like mine,.......is a lot of fun! If you wake them up a little, they can suprize the crap out a ya!....... I swear I can yanke mine up no problem at 55..............

Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BUDXXX
Yup! It does everything ....OK.....pretty well......and if it runs like mine,.......is a lot of fun! If you wake them up a little, they can suprize the crap out a ya!....... I swear I can yanke mine up no problem at 55..............
It really surpised me. I'm used to putting a pipe, carb kit, filter in 4 cylinder machines....amazed by how much it makes this single go.

Do you have your suspension stiffened up in the rear? I'm thinking of a Progressive shock and springs for the front. The suspension is a little soft, which makes it harder to wheelie. Anyways, I'm pleasantly surprised at the performance after the mods....

dave

Old 03-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

BUDX...

"I put the Dunlop t606series of street legal Knobbies on it, and I swear it was like night and day for the bike.....It is SOOOO MUCH BETTER in the dirt than with stock rubber. and the street ride is not that bad for knobbies..."

did you mean Dunlop D-606 tires ??? I was looking today, & unable to find a dual purpose knobbie in a T-606 style... but the D-606's look pretty good... 20% road 80% dirt...

Old 03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

ooops the older I get, the better I was....

Yeah maybe it was d606...

....Stock suspension....heavier fork oil, rear preload adjusted up for heavy rider...

Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Chain Tensioner problem was fixed by Kawasaki back in 96 or atleast thats what I've read elsewhere. I have a 2004 model and overall it's a great bike. The plastic does fade badly, but Ive polished it out rather easily and it will look brand new again. The engine is a bit buzzy, and after an hour of riding, my butt and hands are both numb. The Corbin Flat Seat will help alot. I also have Anti-Vibration Mirror Dampners and an Oversized Rear Rack (both available on Ebay) and they both work extremely well. I'm also looking in to buying some Gel Grips. I'm sure you will like this bike, It's a bullet-proof machine.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

I have also noticed that the plastic fades pretty quickly... I have been considering painting the faded plastic with one of the new plastic paints... ( maybe black, to match my tank )...

I need new tires this year... BUDXXX recommends the Dunlop D-606 rear & D-905 front ... right ???

some others that seemed pretty interesting are the Bridgestone Trail Wing 301 & 302, & the Kenda KX270... I'm not positive these tires are offered in our size yet though...

any other good dual sport tire recommendations ???

Old 03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alko1
The Chain Tensioner problem was fixed by Kawasaki back in 96 or atleast thats what I've read elsewhere. I have a 2004 model and overall it's a great bike. The plastic does fade badly, but Ive polished it out rather easily and it will look brand new again. The engine is a bit buzzy, and after an hour of riding, my butt and hands are both numb. The Corbin Flat Seat will help alot. I also have Anti-Vibration Mirror Dampners and an Oversized Rear Rack (both available on Ebay) and they both work extremely well. I'm also looking in to buying some Gel Grips. I'm sure you will like this bike, It's a bullet-proof machine.
I picked up both the oversize rack and mirror dampeners on ebay. The rack is nice if we're talking about the same one. The guy custom makes the, they are $63 each + $7 shipping. I have a welder and metal benders, but for that price, its easier to let someone else to do it. I put the dampeners on, but only took a short ride to see how well they do....

Fork brace is next....

Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I got in the external adjustment screw for the air mixture jet....look in the picture link below, look on the lower right of the carb and you will see the brass screw....that way I can easily adjust the air/fuel mixture external while the machine is running....the screw was developed mainly for Harleys, at least thats where I found it listed, as they use the Keihin CVK40 carb:

air mixture external screw/****

dave

Old 03-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Mine is a Dunlop D606 on rear and D606F on front.

130-90-17 on rear, 90-90 -21 on front.

Selection was somwhat limited by 17 inch wheel size..

Old 03-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

What type of skid plate do you guys think is the best to put on the KLR? I was thinking of a Dual Star skid plate?

dave

Quick Reply: off topic - KLR650