Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF 650 CDI or module????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF 650 CDI or module????

kawiyowee, I'll let you know how it works.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer

same with me i should have the cdi in 1-2 weeks will let everybody know if it works correctly with the bf650...i am going to call scott tomorrow and see...then see if it is on backorder

Old 02-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Range Rover

I just called dynatek today and talked with Raymond about their CDI in the Brute 650. He told me that it has not been tested on that machine and that he hadn't even heard about it, only the 750. He told me to play it safe and be cautious when I order it. I asked if I could return it if it did not work and he said that technically I couldn't because it would be considered a used cdi.
Scott also called me later that day in reply to my email to dyna. He is currently in Indy at a show. He told me the same that it is no guarantee that it will work. He also said that the CDI's for the '03 P650, '04 P700 and '05 BF750 are the exact same CDI, just different numbers for inventory reasons and that they are on back order until March. I cancelled my order just to play it safe and plus I don't want to wait that long. I will be getting a module instead. I also got clutch springs on the way.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Pro Rider

brutebadger: Come on tax return!

Since Raymond or Scott do not know what the BF650 is, and the CDI has been tested on the '03 P650, then the only question is: Are the '03P650 and the BF 650 the same mechanically? Since Dynatek says their CDI is the same for all the Prairies (including Brute 750) from '03 to '05, what would make the BF 650 different?

alltoys: Sounds like you're right according to brutebadger's info: Dynatek only has 2 CDI's, one for '01-'02 and another for '03 onward thru the BF750. I feel misled from their website. A different part number usually means the part is not the the exact same thing as another part number. Dynatek's 'inventory' part numbering system is misleading.

Kawasaki has to be using the same CDI for all their big bore machines from 03' forward in order for Dynatek to be replacing them with the same CDI.

I find it disturbing that neither Scott or Raymond have any idea of what the BF650 is. I hope to find out from Kawasaki tomorrow if the BF650 is the same as the '03P650 regarding CDI's, and will pass that along to the forum. Also, for my purposes, I will find out if the '05P700 is same as the '03P650 regarding the stock CDI's and will pass that along also.

Brutebadger: are you going to check on the warrantee continuance if you install the dg. I guess it depends on the dealer mostly. Clutch springs are a much bigger bang for the buck than the CDI and about the same power gain. Sounds like most of us are changing out springs, weights. Need to talk to the dealer first though, regarding if the warranty is affected by clutch work. Dalton says it usually is not, but to check with the local dealer. I paid $600 for 4 yr warranty continuance, and don't want to jeopardize it.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

kawiyowee: My dealer is a really good guy. The warranty will not be effected. I was amazed that they didn't have more info about their Cdi and the Brute 650. The CDI is also the exact same for the AC 650 and the STP 700. The same CDI across the board for all the big bores. I tried convincing both for several minutes that the brute 650 was a prairie in disguise, same everything but the plastic, and they were still very hesitant to tell me to get it. Both pretty much discouraged me from buying it, IMO. I am almost 100% sure it would work, but they were good at getting me to doubt.. I guess I will wait for your research about the stock CDI's and see if they are the same. That is what they told me to do, but haven't had the time. I can't believe that the stock CDI is the same for all the different manufacturers, but then again, they are all Kawi engines so maybe they are.

By the way, the tax return is here. I ordered the 26" Mudlites on type 5's and the EPI maroon primary and EPI black Secondary (all from my dealer for a great price. He didn't want me to drive the 45 min to RockyMountainATV). I did have the CDI on order, but cancelled that. I will probably get the HL module, both my brother and my dad have that in their 700's and it is awesome, plus thats what my dealer carries. He had the DG3's but got rid of them on ebay as quick as he could because he had nothing but problems with them. I wanted the new 25" mudlite XL's but I didn't want to wait a month til they came, so got the 26's, plus the little extra ground clearance will be nice.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Kawiyowee,
I misunderstood your thread. I gathered there was 4 different companys for the cdi so far there are 2 with a 3rd on the horizon.

I know there is a difference with the BF 750 but only in the flywheel and magnets this allows for a faster ramp of rpm because the lighter weight. I understand the 750 motor is 2#'s lighter because of this and the crank. Personaly I think there is only 2 differences in the cdi's one for 02 - 650 and 03 - 05 are basicly the same. The motor only fires at 270* no matter what the configuration of electronics are the mechanics are the same. Why Dyna Tech uses 4 different numbers is beyond me. I do know that 05 models do not have 4x4 in reverse this is stupid in my opinion Kawi really dropped the ball here. If I get stuck in 4x4 going forward I definitly want 4x4 in reverse, ever try to run a winch line backwards when your winch is in the front. KAWI HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET!!!!!!!!

I am not sure if the Dyna cdi will eleviate this perdicament but a 4x4 actuator from an 04 will remedy the situation.

A CDI is still the best bang for your buck it gives you the benefit of the whole timing circuit where a module will only help the bottom. I can remember when everyone was crying for a cdi to get rid of the crap that the OEM system had. The module came out but that was just a bandaid. Now people think a cheap module plus key is the best of all worlds, it isn't. Dyna Tech stands by their product they are the only ones that will openly give timing charts where no one else has I have not seen any timing charts advertized from the other cdi company. I gave up on the module shortly after it came out because I know the cdi is the only way to get true performance. If I were to buy a module which I wouldn't, I would think about DG and Velocity Devices they would be my concideration.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

If you go with a module, the dg5 is way to go. Its only a little more than the HL and it has way more stuff like led and built in switch instead of having to buy your own. every company out there has upgraded there stuff but HL has some old thing. If you want to wait for it maybe the newer cdi if it ever comes out sounds good, but the price is not set yet or the date.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

All this talk about the CDI...Man i bet it is something so stupid and it is the same for all the machines....God i hope we find out soon... stuff like this drives me insane...Anyways i guess ia m going to make a few calls too and see if the stock cdi's are the same will update as soon as i find out...thanks

Old 02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Alex85,
Go with a CDI you will be glad you did.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

yeah that is what i am going to do as soon as i find out about them and if they are the same...thanks

Quick Reply: BF 650 CDI or module????