Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

new tires... vote !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires... vote !

I need your help again. I am getting new tires and want something better.

Heres the requirements..

25s
6 ply
radial or bias ply... but prefer radial.

I do alot of fast trail riding with occasional 1 foot or so of mud. I dont go looking for mud. Just if I have no way around it.

I jump the quad a bit. and drag race everytime I go riding.

Ive got bighorns or wetlands or outlaw MSTs in mind... Anyone know of anything else?

Mudlites are not a option...

Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Mudlites are good tire for me but i am in the mud a bit more than you are it seems...

From what i hear from people and people that i ride with the bighorn is suppose to be the best...Just a little high in price...Suppose to clean out real well to in the mud...but i think they seem to run a little bigger than most tire...but dont quote me on that

Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

For what you are describing it sounds like ATRs would suit you well. The others you mentioned are all good tires but since you say you drag race every time you go out the ATRs would probably be better since they are lighter than the others. They are still radials and 6 ply.
I did the same as you about 3 weeks ago and decided to keep the mudlights for mud and snow, and got ATRs for the races and fast trails.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

I went with 26" mudlites. They are a nice tire but I kinda wish I would have bought the 25" ATR's.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

if you want a sweet tire with good tread depth and are light then maybe you should look at the mud bugs.
there a sweet tire and they work excelant in the snow mud and ride very smooth on the hard pac trails and roads.
there the one of the best allround tire out there.
in IMO.
but if you want the best tire IMO go with the mudzillas.
i have mud lites on my honda and the zillas put them to shame.
after seeing what the zillas can do i dont think to much of my mud lites anymore.
and the zillas ride great on the dirt roads also because of the overlaping treads.
so far the mud zillas have proven to be the best tire ive seen.
but like i said if you want an awsome tire and a light tire then go with the mud bugs.
there a better tire then the mud lites and have a stronger sidewall the the mud lites.
and the weight is almost the same.
good luck with your choice.
PS. ive had 2 flats with my mud lites and 1 hole is like a smll scratch but it leaks all the time and i cant get it to stop.
unless i want to put some shlime in it or some other tire sealer.
but i dont like that kind of stuff.

plus i would think i would have to put it in all my tires to make them the same.
and then when i go to replace them all that crap would have to be cleaned out befor you put the new tires on.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

I love my Holeshot ATR's. I had a lot of the same requirements as you when I was buying tires and I like the Holeshots better than the Bighorns. I tried them both and, for me, the Holeshots don't ride as rough.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

ITP Holeshot ATR'S 25 in. 6 ply ......... I have put mine to the test in all types of terrain, weather, and speeds. Buy atr's you won't be sorry.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] IMO When mine wear out i will put a set of 26 in atrs back on.... love the 25's but an extra inch of clearance would be nice...

Old 02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

GSXR, why aren't Mudlites an option?

Old 02-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

Well at this point its looking like ATRs vs Bighorns.

And I think Bighorns might win, simply because i can get them for 20$ cheaper a tire.

Mudlites are not a option because I have had them before, and was not satisified. They are great for casual trail riding and mud but not fast trail riding or drag racing. They just dont grab... But they do throw up a amazing roost. Also, I had a lug come off my rear tire. I do not want anything like that happening again. Maybe I was just too rough with them. Either way, they are not for me.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Bighorns are great tires, but my suggestion is ride them before you buy them. My friend has the Bighorns and loves them, but my other friend and I hated them. We all have P650's. One friend bought a set and sold them on ebay with 50 miles on them. It is a tough, heavy tire, and definitely better than the ATR's in the mud, but you are like me in that we go around the mud. That's why they make more than one brand, everybody likes something different.

Quick Reply: new tires... vote !