Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bent upper strut mount on prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent upper strut mount on prairie?

Hi guys my question is where is it they are bending at, or what exactly is happening when they go bad. I need to know as I am going to be welding in supports tomorrow and need to know what the weak areas are so I can come up with a plan on how to properly reinforce them so I don't have to worry about running around with my rack off. Thanks, Seth

Old 03-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Running without a front rack usely leads to such a problem. The front rack function isn't only to offer cargo, but also strenghten and limit the strut tower from moving. So, if you remove the front rack you must install a strut tower brace to reinforce the weaken strut heads from the removal all the rack. You can make one, have one made or buy it from PBR (Mike Penland, Penland Brothers Racing). I personally had mine custom made.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 AM
Range Rover

that is not my question. From what I have heard the rack nor the strut bars are enough to keep the mounts from bending or breaking. What you have to do to solve the problem is weld in reinforcements and I was wondering at what point or weld they brake or if the metal just rips or what exactly happens so I can figure out how exactly I want to reinforce them. Thanks again

P.S. I know prairiewrench knows more on this subject.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

LittleBoy: good post. I never knew the strut tower was held in place by the rack....makes sense though.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

SF... P.M. PRAIRIEWRENCH, I'm sure he'll tell you or show you where he's welding the reinforcement on FD Racings Prairies... if you look at the strut tower, & where the rack bolt screws in, you'll see that it ( the rack & bolt ), offers leverage to the "body" of the strut tower, they have a tendancy to bend the tops inward... the racks, or the strut braces, connect the 2 strut towers together, giving more strength to keep the tops from bending inward... I think P.W. is just adding extra thickness to keep it from bending... I use a 3/8" thick aluminum strut, across between the strut towers, as the mounting point for my induction system, & it has worked well... if you look at a 650 Brute, you'l see that they added aditional support in the form of a spacer ( for the brute style plastic ), coupled with a pipe brace, that goes between the strut towers, under the plastic... hope this helps...