Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HELP How do you remove Ball joint on front struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP How do you remove Ball joint on front struts?

Got my new Works struts and Elka springs ready to install and noticed front strut tower ball joint grease seal is leaking grease and I can not get end cap off of old front struts to put on new struts. Tried Penetrant and hammer but don't want to destroy strut retaining end caps.

Are the front strut tower ball joint (that has the snapring and large nut) pressed onto the end of the old struts? How do you remove the Tower strut/spring stop/ balljoint cap assembly without damaging the grease seal? Can the joint be resealed or do you have to order the entire strut end cap assembly?

Any Help & Advise is MOST APPRECIATIVE.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I don't have a press but will take to dealer if necessary for removal.

TuffENuff

Old 03-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: tuffEnuf
Got my new Works struts and Elka springs ready to install and noticed front strut tower ball joint grease seal is leaking grease and I can not get end cap off of old front struts to put on new struts. Tried Penetrant and hammer but don't want to destroy strut retaining end caps.

Are the front strut tower ball joint (that has the snapring and large nut) pressed onto the end of the old struts? How do you remove the Tower strut/spring stop/ balljoint cap assembly without damaging the grease seal? Can the joint be resealed or do you have to order the entire strut end cap assembly?

Any Help & Advise is MOST APPRECIATIVE.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I don't have a press but will take to dealer if necessary for removal.

TuffENuff
I think Kissofdeath's (KOD) website has some pics/instructions on how to change the ball joints, you might try checking there for some tips.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Mickey. I visited KOD websight however his pictures were of the balljoint on the A-arms I need info on how to remove the end cap/the joint/retaining nut that is attached to the top of the front strut.

Hopefully someone will chime in who has installed Works Struts & Elka Springs on the front of their Prairie.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TuffEnuff

Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

krabid, on kawieriders, helped me to install my Works struts so I am not 100% sure about this, but we had to put the strut in a vice and then apply heat (but not too much!) to get the top end cap off. It is on there w/ thread lock and we heated it just enough to soften the thread lock. Big thing is not to use too much heat or you will melt the rubber boots and burn out the grease. Hope this helps! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Adirondack:

After digging the packing material out of my new struts I discovered they were in fact threaded.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Tried putting wrench in vise to hold strut from turning but no luck. Have not tried heat yet. The thread sealer on the caps is definately working.

May just take to Kawi Shop & let them swap over parts for me. Should not be over $20 for peace of mind.

TuffEnuff

Old 03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

I'll admit, that they are really on there... I was going to remove one, when I was looking at adding the threaded preload adjusters, off my Fox shocks, & while building my spring preload spacers... & couldn't get them off, without making it a project... there is a flat side on the shafts above & below the disc that the spring cover indexes on... I'm assuming they thread apart there... I would have made it a "project", if my struts were in better shape, but the ball joints at the top of the strut are as marginal as my struts are, so I'll likely order new ones, when / if I replace my old struts...

BTW...anyone know the part number, & list price of those joints ???

Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I'll just drop by the dealer tomorrow and see if they have a special tool for them. Could not get the caps to budge. Don't want to smoke my grease seals.

I did contact Works Shocks today and ask them if they had an adapter plate so my elka springs would fit flush but the engineer I talked to was ****-Retentive. Seemed to be Jealous of the Elka Springs and wanted to know why I bought springs and their struts work wekk with the stock springs instead of whether Works had a different spring mount that would fit/mate to the Elka Springs. Go-Figure? You would think that Works would make an adapter that fit WHO-Ever makes a spring???? Maybe they thing people are going to pay Kawi for one shock what a person can get a pair for??? I'll probably just put the adjuster on top of the spring mount plate thats on the works strut. The Works Strut will fit the stock springs & the Elka springs will will fit the stock struts perfectly but The Works strut and Elka Springs lower spring mount doe not fit just perfect. Think if the Dealer does get the end caps off and Swapped to the works strut, I just reverse the bottom spring retainer on the Works and tighten down the elka springs on top of it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

Tuffenuff,

Be sure to let us know how you make out. I am very interested, as I hope to purchase Elka springs in the future. Right now I am saving my $$ for a Hatfield McCoy trip this spring.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]