Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Your Favorite Hunting Story

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Favorite Hunting Story

I was talking with JPSDiving not so long ago about a trap line my father would let me go on with him when I was younger. It brought back some wonderful memories I was wondering what comical or interesting stories we all have to share with everyone. My father was an inovator if we couldn't afford it we would make it that's probably where I get my fabbing background from. List your stories I will give a few as time goes on lets see what we can come up with.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have a great story about getting attacked by a ferocious animal, & having to put it down... I was shaking all over, after it happened ... I was in shock, & couldn't believe it happened... more on this story later...

I just had a loaded spring come apart on me, while assembling a strut assembly, & it took a little off one of my 2 typing fingers, today ( just 1/8" off the tip )... but I was continually "fat fingering" the key board before... now with that big ol bandage, all these letters I swear I never typed, keep showing up on the screen... so I'll share more of my hunting story, after my right hand gets rid of its 2nd thumb...

Old 03-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

The ferocious animal wasn't the house kitty was it, lol. Yeh those springs are nasty little things good thing it wasn't your eye. PW has a friend that lost an eye because of a small spring not that big at all. Since that talk I always wear glasses to save what eyesight I have left.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:02 AM
DOA
Range Rover

Who hasn't jpsdiving talked with.(LOL)

Calling in Coyote's, had my dog (my pet album) with me, let rip on my dying rabbit call, sat back on a sunny side of a hardwood gultch on a beautiful march morning with patches of snow in the woods, BEAUTIFUL. Let rip again in about 10 minutes and all of a sudden and BIG coyote came charging in on the gultch floor, bouncing side to side with his hair standing up about 4 inches off his back. HOLY CRAP!!!!

I try to get the scope on it but it's bouncing from side to side way too fast. THEN my dog runs down over the sidehill after the coyote, oh no, this is going to be a scrap. I have BIG dog. The coyote looks up and see buddy coming after him and runs off into the forest. My dog is running around in circles where the he seen the coyote last, sniffing for his scent.

Bummer, my first called in coyote and I missed him, so I'm sitting there watching my dog going around and remember that I read that even if you shoot a coyote not to go and get him because you might be able to get another. So I said to myself, self, try calling him back to see if ole Mr. Coyote will want to fight for that rabbit. So I let rip again on the rabbit call for a few seconds and stop, looking around and then I catch a glimps of him sneeking in this time. He looked like he was stalking my dog still sniffing around. So I lined my Ruger ultra light chambered in 250/3000 savage loaded up with a 70gr varmint bullet and let fire.

The Coyote fell over and now his head is on my wall,

I would be typing for weeks to tell you all my hunting and trapping stories.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Quiet morning on deer stand interrupted by noisy and overweight Fox Squirrell. Up and down trees Chatter, chatter, chatter. Finally, he decides to play Tarzan. Diving from limb to limb in overhead trees. Chatter, chatter, Chatter & stopping ocasionally to look back at me.. After about 15 minutes and just when I've had about all I can stand, I nudged my safety off of my 7MM STW. Mr Squirrel then climbs to the peak of a tall oak and then attempts to dive to an adjacent tree. Just as Mr squirrel lands on the adjacent limb the limb snaps and he plummits nearly 120 feet to the ground with a resounding THUD and just lays there for about 10 secounds and then slowly crawls away. No more chattering, I nudged my safety back on and wiped the tears from my eyes, never laughed so hard!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Tuff

Old 03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

One time while archery hunting one evening, I noticed a screech owl light on a limb about 30 yds. away. I was in a tree stand about 20 ft. up a tree. He was watching me. I was in total camoflage, face paint and all. I took my eyes off of him after a bit to watch for deer. I heard a clicking noise and looked back at the owl. He was gone and the limb he was on was bouncing a little bit. After a little bit, I saw the owl on another limb much closer, twisting his head around studying me. I went back to watching for deer. Then I heard the clicking noise again. A few seconds later something hit me in the side of the head. It actually scratched my head. It was the owl. It flew up and landed on another limb. It watched me for a little while then came flying right back at me. As it got close , I raised my arm and took a swat at it, but missed. He then flew away. The only thing I can think is that it saw a tuft of my hair sticking out from under my hat and thought it was a mouse or something.

Another time a similar episode like this happened with a red-tailed hawk while I was archery hunting. As I watched the hawk studying me from a limb, I remembered the screech owl. Then all of a sudden here he came flying right at me. I raised my bow to protect my face. He veered off at the last second then landed on a limb. I wasn't taking any more chances. I stood up and waived my arm. He flew away. I sat there wondering what these birds of prey were thinking.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

DOA,
Coyotes are interesting animals very adaptable.

Tuffenuff,
That poor squirel, LMAO!!!!

Wolverine,
I had a similiar thing but with a wild horse that darn Hoss chased me around a big ole tree tried to bite, kick just about everything to get at me. My brother was on the other side of a valley laughing so hard he could hardly stand. Thirty years later my brother still kids me about it telling me the Hoss had something in mind for me, lol.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

one time when my dad took me traping with him and his buddies, i got the crap scared out of me. we were walking and checking the traps. caught a couple coon's, rat's, grinners (possom) and i think a mink. anyhow while walking we just put a grinner into my dads game bag which was part of his coat. i was having a good time outdoors checking out the woods and animals, then you hear, f#$k, beap, beap, beap, beap, beap, beap as my dad ripped off his coat and started to shoot all 7 rounds of his 22 cal pistol at his coat. i was like WOW, what happened dad. he said that effer, son of beap, beap, beap, beap, beap, beap, was still alive. that possom was clawing my pops and bighting at his back. his buddy was rolling on the ground laughing his butt off. that was a lesson learned, because later down the line when i started to trap i made sure those or any game was dead before i put them in my coat.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Deerchooper,
That is a hoot I had a similiar experience with my Dad. I was pretty younge I remeber my pop getting me my own coveralls my first ones I was so proud. I was going on the trap line with Dad and we matched, our coveralls were the same. Off we went he had set traps for winter weasle white with a black tip on its tail. We had traps that wouldn't kill the critter just keep his head from biting himself keeping from ruining his hide. Well Dad used to put his index and middle fingers up by the neck and use his thumb to press in on the chest stopping the heart. He had done this with 4 weasle and he would put them in his big pockets. We had been out for half a day walking down the trail to our half track tractor when he stopped dead. I asked what was wrong did he hear something as there was bear in that country. Next thing I seen was my Dad ripping off his coveralls as fast as he could and step away from them. Still not nowing what was up a weasle came to life, ripped a hole in his coveralls big enough to escape. Popped his head out of the hole and snarled at us then smoked it into the bush. I didn't think it was that funny till we went home when Dad told the story to Mom and she laughed so hard I thought she was going to have an accident.

My parents are gone now. I pass these stories on to my kids hopefully they will keep them alive. I have enjoyed your stories I hope other people will join in it doesn't have to be a hunting story maybe something humorus that had happened to you or someone else.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

OK... I took off the bandage long enough to type out my story... I'll start off with, as a kid, I never did much hunting ( my dad hated guns )... I finally had to beg & plead, to be allowed a single shot .410 shotgun, about the time I was 1/2 way through high school... well my senior year, I bought an old lever action 30 - 30, & got to go deer hunting, for the 1st time, then for a few years, before I jumped with both feet into the rat race... several years past, & I met my wife, whose dad was a collector, & big time hunter... since he had nearely anything I could want to use, I chose to buy a .243, & a 4" barreled .357 Magnum... figuring they were both versitile enough, that I could use them for nearly anything, & if I needed anything "specialized", I could borrow one from my ( now ) father in law... one year when we were up north hunting, I was in the stand, & often tossed my apple cores out on the shooting lane, ( anything that could help )... there I sat in my stand, with my blaze orange cover alls, mad bomber hat & boots... I had a new "doe in heat" cover scent, & was all ready... normally the squirels would rustle down out of the trees, & go after my apple cores... well on this particular day, here come this squirrel "hippy hoppin" down the fire break... all of a sudden... he looks up at me, & just starts chewing me out... this goes on for what seemed like 5 - 10 minutes, & suddenly he jumps into the tree across the fire break, & gets eye to eye with me, & continues to chew me out for another 5 - 10 minutes... by this time, I'm getting pretty irritated, so I start lookin at him through the scope of the rifle... & more than once, thought about giving him a "hot lead" treatment... when all of a sudden, he races up the tree, jumps to the tree I'm in, & starts racing down the trunk of the tree I'm in... ... I'm in shock, & by the time I realize that he's not going to stop, my rifle was only good as a club... I quickly draw my .357 Mag, & raise it skyward, just in time to see him leap off the tree... I litterally stuck the gun into it's belly in mid air, & pulled the trigger on a 125 grain hollow point... the squirrel litterally explodes into poofs of hair...

by this time I'm shaking... I never "had" to shoot something in self defense... while I'm sitting there, the only other possible options I could think of, other than the stupid thing being rabid, was that it saw the patch of grey rabbit hair on the brim of my orange mad bomber hat, & thought it was a competing squirrel, after his stash... then I thought about the doe in heat cover scent & thought maybe it thought that grey patch was a female squirrel in heat... either way, rabid, fiesty, or looking for love... I wasn't going to let him land on my head...

later I told the story to my father in law, & he though I just had "buck fever" & didn't believe me... of course there wasn't enough of the squirrel left to bring back any proof...

so remember... if you are using the "good" doe in heat, cover scent, look out for those lusty squirrels...

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Hunting Story