Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

The new dirtwheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The new dirtwheels

The dealer where I bought my 700prairie and 750BF said that kawie was orginally going to discontinue the 700prairie. But now he said they are going to keep it and bump the 750BF to a 798cc motor (800) and make the 650BF with IRS. He also said that a 500 is coming in 2007, but doesn't know if it will be a v-twin or single. He said it will be offered in both SRA called the prairie 500 and an IRS called the BF500. So, if this is true, then kawie's line up would be:

800 Brute Force v-twin IRS 4x4
700 Prairie SRA v-twin 4x4
650 Brute Force v-twin IRS 4x4
500 Prairie SRA 4x4
500 Brute Force IRS 4x4
360 Prairie SRA 4x4

Of course.....I WILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT. To me, none of that makes sense from an economics stand point.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was just the winners of the prior shootout in this shootout. Just the KQ and the P700.

"Sure the extra ground clearance of the King Quad is advantageous in the ruts, but the Prairie seems to glide over the high spots just as easily. We never ran into any problems with the Prairie getting hung up. Plus with an easier-to-use diff lock control, the front wheel drive could be pressed into service at a moments notice."

"Both machines have equal fuel capacities at 4 1/2 gallons. We found that the V-twin powered Prairie likes to drink more gas on the trail than the EFI KQ does. On a full tank run, the KQ could travel on average, 10-15 miles further than the Prairie. All of that extra fuel usage helps bottom end torgue in the drag races somewhat. In our tests, the Prairie would always have a slight advantage off the line. From a 20 mph rolling start, The P700 would jump to an even bigger lead. About 2 quad lengths were typical. During our top speed runs, the fuel injected Suzuki would always reel in and pass the P700 just before the quarter mile mark. According to our Garmen GPS unit, top speed of the Kawi measured 67.5 mph while the KQ topped out at 71 mph and the Suzuki was bouncing off the rev limiter wanting more speed. Anyway, those speeds are plenty fast for this pair of 600-pound machines."

"THis shootout was a close one to call. Both machines have some strong points and some bad points. On the plus side, the Kawi has great acceleration and a strong motor in stock trim and is very easy to hop up. It has very stable manners at any speed and very predicatble steering as well. The engine braking is far surerior and the comfort level is equal to that of the KQ. On the downside, we would like to see more cargo carrying capabilities. Also a handlebar-mounted light would make night riding safer. A slight vibration through the handle bars was a minor complant on this machine. The KQ pluses included dual storage boxes, dual lighting systems and excellent fuel economy. It probable has the best fuel range in the over 600cc 4x4 class. In the needs-to-be-improved department, the Suzuki's list is crucial. The front-end needs some sort of steering stabilizer or a change in the caster rake of the frong spindles. A caster change will help in high speed stability but hurt cornering. However, the biggest concern is to make the frong end more predictable. We cant stress it enough; anytime a 600 lbs machine makes an unwanted or unexpected move, its spooky. Plus the more weight you add to the front rack, the worse it gets. We would also like to see better engine braking on the machine. Suzuki could formulate some improvments for the KQ and easily make it the best 4x4 quad on the market. However, until we see those changes, the Kawasaki Prairie 700will remain the best 4x4 quad you can buy."

Dirtwheels May 2005

Those or just some of the points that I think stick out.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our tests, the Prairie would always have a slight advantage off the line. From a 20 mph rolling start, The P700 would jump to an even bigger lead. About 2 quad lengths were typical. During our top speed runs, the fuel injected Suzuki would always reel in and pass the P700 just before the quarter mile mark. According to our Garmen GPS unit, top speed of the Kawi measured 67.5 mph while the KQ topped out at 71 mph and the Suzuki was bouncing off the rev limiter wanting more speed. Anyway, those speeds are plenty fast for this pair of 600-pound machines."

That also depends on each individual machine. My friend has the suzuki KQ 700 and we have raced several times against my 700 prairie and he has never reeled me in or passed me. I have topped my 700 prairie out at 69.5 by my GPS and his KQ has topped out at 66.4 by GPS. But another friend who rides with us has a 700 prairie too and his will only top out at 64.8 by GPS. So each machine will vary by about +/-5mph. Either way.....both machines are awesome. I have not raced him with my 750BF yet......waiting to have it fully broke in.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't be happier than with the P700; if ya ask me I'd say that this is the 4x quad to end all quads. But then I also think that the clock should've stopped in 1989, too, so I'm probably not the guy to ask.............

Old 04-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

"the Kawasaki Prairie 700will remain the best 4x4 quad you can buy."

You gotta love it. Between my dad and I' we have owned and tryed them all, That article has said what I have been telling fokes on here since these machines came out. Its nice to see the crown back on its rightfull owner. LONG LIVE THE REAL KING [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Im gonna wait on the P750 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You know its coming.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I sure hope so. I have sent Kawi a few e-mails and links to forums like this, who knows if anyone reads them. But I thought it might be worth it to try. I know car manufacturers monitor forums dealing with there cars and there compititions cars to try and fine tune there products to the customers

http://www.kawasaki.com/content.asp?...ny/contact.asp

Old 04-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

Yes I got my Prairie 650 3 years ago and I just love it. It has never let me sit and has great handeling. I have 3600mi. on mine and they are rocky hard miles and it is still going strong. Here in a year or two I'm going to be getting another bike and I just can't wait to see what is available by then.. I know that my 650 is not as fastest any more but the power is soooo smooth it is such a pleasure to take rock crawling or to burn up the trails. KAWI RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Range Rover

Went riding yesterday with a friend of mine and he just purchased a new twin peaks. A blue one it is nice how ever it did not embarass my 650 and not near enough to make me trade yet.... I had to tell him some of the peeves and little quirks about these bikes and 1st one was doing 90*(strait up) wheelies I could not belive my eyes he has the rear mudflaps ripped off the fenders all ready from strait up wheelies. I cant belive a 48yr rookie is this nuts. he will get bit. If he dont quit this he will lock it , he got a bargin on this bike 6100.00 out the door at a Dealer!!!!jh

Old 04-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Syrupdawg good post about the difference. One thing that I love about the P-700 is the stability. I really believe it rules the ute atv world in this area. The Prairie just flys over ruts and rocks if asked to.
If you want a racing machine or just a stable trail ridder, you can not go wrong with the Prairie.
My P-700 will do 74 on blacktop slight down hill with an aftermarket exhaust and cdi mod.