Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New P700. Tire and Break-in advice needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Sog
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New P700. Tire and Break-in advice needed please.

Very happy with my new quad but I need some of your knowledge.

Firstoff, I've read polar ideas on how to properly break in a new quad. The manual says take it slow and easy. Others say ride hard and fast to properly seat your rings. Who is lying and who is telling the truth? I'm hoping you say ride hard and fast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Secondly, I've read that aftermarket tires increase both stability and traction. I don't particularly want to spend more money right now but a better and more importantly safer ride is worth it to me. So hopefully you know of some tires that will meet my needs.

For work: want a stable (wide wheel base?) ride to handle the side slopes I have on my property. I have to be careful with my stock Prairie when cross-sloping and any little bit of extra stability can only help.

For play: want handling and speed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I love the torque and would hate to loose any. Primarily I will be trail riding and I'm sure I'll get muddy every now and then. No serious mudding though. Also my sport-quad-owning friends will drag me out to the dunes as often as they can.

Is there one brand/size of tires that can do it all? or do I need to buy 3 sets? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

You helped me pick the perfect quad. Now all you have is the simple task of making it the best most versatile quad out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well maybe besides yours.....

Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

ride it like you stole it for breakin and mudlites are the way to go for tires , they are 6 ply and are agressive to mud with and dont weigh near as much as other 6 ply tires

Old 04-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for tires you can get itp atr's, maxxis bighorns, gbc dirt devils

Old 04-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Sog
Weekend Warrior

What width should I run? I'm leaning towards 10's in front and 12's in the rear to widen wheel base for a little extra side slope stability and 25" diameter (stock) for low center of gravity. Is that sound reasoning? does the wide tires negatively affect day to day trail riding?

Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have itp holeshot atr's on my 700p. They do everything you listed very well with the exception of deep mud. Also you said you were going to sand drag with some of your friends. I would STRONGLY recomend keeping your stock tires on your stock wheels for this. I run sand drags very often and the light weight of the stock combination is quiet abit faster than the holeshots on c series wheels. Beleave it or not with the air pressure dropped on the stockers it is quicker than when I have on my paddle masters, because the stockers don't pull it down on top end. In short holeshot art's on c series wheels are a excellent trail/pleasure riding setup. For sand dragging drop the air pressure and run the stock wheels and tires unless you want to pay big money for skat-traks.