Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

WHAT IS THIS NOISE ON MY P700??? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT IS THIS NOISE ON MY P700??? Help!!

I noticed that my P700 is making a noise when I let off the throttle.. Mainly hear it at low speeds... It is a clicking noise... Sounds like there something taking slack out of something... It will click a little like something is loose or something... Sounds like it is at my feet or in front of me a bit... Not very good with fixing stuff so need some ideas what it might be... Or is it normal.. My buddy said it may be part of the engine brake system.. But havent had a chance to get it looked at.. .Bike has all the power and rides GREAT.. Just clicks here and there

Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like your shifter needs to be adjusted. Sometimes when the shifter gets out of whack, the linkage doesn't quite pull it into gear and the gears actually ratchet causing the noise you describe. It's an easy fix but takes a bit of time as you have to remove a bit of the plastic to get at it. Good luck

Old 05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info masterblaster... Do I have anything to worry about until I get it fixed? Can I still ride it like normal?.. I sent you a PM....

Old 05-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't ride it without fixing it. If it starts doing it under load (when you are getting on the gas) the gears could ratchet and then catch which might result in a broken gear tooth in the tranny. Not good.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Prairies have square cut gears which make them make a click click noise when getting on and off the gas. If the shifter is out of adjustment it makes more of a grinding noise. Square cut gears are stronger then bevel gears, also cheaper, that is why Kawi went them.

Do a search on clicking noise you will plenty of info.

Kissofdeath has a good write up on it and explains it very well. I did not notice it on mine untill I went riding in a very rocky area where I had to go very slow. I adjusted my shift linkage by the factory manual and it still makes the noise.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Drakeky, can you feel the bike hesitate a little when it does this or is it like sammydog says? The driveline does make some noise as the gears are straight cut. You will notice it more in 4x4 than when in 2wd but when you get on and off the gas, there is gear tolerance in the tranny that causes a little bit of gear "clack". If that is the noise you are hearing, no worries. If the bike kind of misses a little when it does it, then that is the gears not meshing properly and you need to get it fixed.

Sammydog, good call!! I'd forgotten about that gear clash sound as I've had my Kawie for 3 years now and I'm just used to it!!

Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

The bike doesnt really hesitate any.. I can get on the gas and when I let off I hear the clicking noise.. Or when I am crawling through some rocks I can hear it sometimes... I also hear it if I shoot down a stretch then get on the brakes hard... Does this sound like anything.. If it is nothing to worry about then is there anyway to get it to stop or does it just do this... I have rode it like this for a month.. No problems or changes in performance.. Just making sure nothing to worry about....
Thanks again guys for the help so far... Keep it coming..

Old 05-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

what sammy said. your prairie is just fine. they are noisey beasts. you'll get used to it!