Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mods suggestion on my P650??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods suggestion on my P650??

I just bought an '02 P650 yesterday. I'm not familiar with these bikes at all, mostly been a Polaris owner. The current mods to the bike are in the sig. Since I got a good deal, I've got a little $$ left from what I had budgeted. At this point, whats my best bang for the buck? I want the Kawi to perform well against the '04 Sportsman 700 I ride with. I'm leaving for a trip to Colorado in 3 weeks, so I'd like to get things ordered and installed here pretty quick. The machine has 700 miles on it and is on the original belt. What belt do I need to get? I noticed in some sigs "P700" belt. What oil is everyone running? I'm going to remove all the plastic tonight and get ready to do all the maintenance and just get a feel for where everythings at. I'm especially interested in the easiest way to get to the carbs, since I'll be doing some jetting and tuning for Colorado (~9000-13000ft.). Any links for carb tuning on this bike? I'm very experienced tuning 2 stroke dirtbikes, but I expect these carbs to be a bit different. I did manage to jet and tune the Raptor 660 I took to Colorado last year. The previous owner had it rejetted at the dealer when he purchased it new, since they installed the exhaust and K&N the first day he bought it. I'll open the carbs and find out what it's running. Man, I had to go out and start it again before I left for work this morning...It sounds mean just idling.

Steve

Old 06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it doesn't already have one, you'll want to replace the stock air snorkel with a larger one. You can buy a Napa radiator hose #7335 for about $13 and trim it to fit...lots of folks do that to increase airflow into the airbox. Your other option is to buy a DG air snorkel for about $50.

For riding at varying altitudes, you should look into getting Dial-a-jets from thunderproducts (go to www.thunderproducts.com for more info). I had these DAJs on my quad for a year and they worked ok (but I never rode at different elevations, so I didn't get any real benefit from them). They basically make it very easy to rejet by removing the airfilter and then turning a dial.

I highly recommend that you get a Dyna CDI...its the best bang for the buck in my opinion...it increases max ignition timing, removes the retarted timing at the bottom and top and also raises the rev limiter...you will gain about 3 mph more top speed with this mod alone.

See the other mods in my sig for idea.

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks...where's the best place online to buy the Dyna cdi?

Old 06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

I bought mine on ebay about a month ago for about $240. I think you can also buy them from Parts Unlimited. I'm sure there are others who sell it...go to www.dynaonline.com for more info on this product.

Happy trails....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

Any special clamps for the NAPA hose?

Old 06-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Nope...you simply reuse the old clamps where the bottom of the snorkel attaches to the front of the airbox.

Go to Nyroc's website for ALL the info on Prairies that you can imagine...he's got pics and instructions on almost every type of repair and modification to the P650/P700. go to atv.dnsalias.com (don't use www).

PS - With the Dyna CDI, you should have no problem beating your buddy's SP700.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

You will easily eat that 700 for breakfast in the smooth stuff, if it gets really rocky then the Sp 700 suspension comes into play and he will walk away.

I ride with a sp600, sp700 and sp700EFI. the only one that even comes close is the EFI. I have way more luck racing in high gear, when I'm in low the quad just flips over on pavement and just sits and spins in the loose stuff.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Pick any or all the mods in my signature. Could of sworn I saw 50+ today on a straight away before hard braking (Was in low gear). Got to be careful giving it gas on the trails, Instant bumper dragging POWER when you got all my mods and your jetting dialed in. Stay with the 25" tires for maaaaximum performance. Sure fun power wheeling out of the turns. New Front struts, tires, and or front springs really make a night and day difference in cornering & handling on the trails. I'm running the ATRs up front and the Mudmachines Triclaws in rear, Powerslides,NOOOOOOOOOO Problem, Just give it Gas!!. Only problem with Triclaws (besides weight) is that TOO much throttle & she wheel stands VERY quick & very difficult to steer with rear wheels. Almost afraid to put the ATRs on the rear since the Old-girl spins the Tri-Claws so easily. My buddy got an all stock prairie 650 and I'd have to stop and wait for him to catch up in the twisty trails today.Once he caught up I'd only BLAST away again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Yep, all that power makes you a"Little Stinker." on the trails..just can't resist rooooooooooooooosting you buddy(s). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]