Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

coolant and backfire.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brute force coolant boiling

Hey guy's anyone have any advice on how to stop my coolant from constantly boiling at slow speeds and high speeds and most any speed i,m goin. I clean the rad front and back every ride and i clean it on the trail also, its full with 50/50 coolant.
i,m thinking of putting pure engine ice in it, the yammy dealers got it, because i,m seriously out of options here, i cant stand watching that light constantly flash, and oh yeah the dealership says they have never seen this and has no advice.
if any one has had this problem and has found a cure i could use your advice.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

test the thermostat by putting it in boiling water and if it doesnt open there is your problem.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

newduck has a good idea.

Is your warranty run out? If it hasn't, then it's your dealer's problem.

If it has, you can try ceramic coating the exhaust to keep heat off the engine ($75-$100), or wrap it with exhaust tape ($40~ mat'ls only, your labor). Both methods work, but the ceramic works the better of the two, and it gives it a nice look too. There was a lot of posts when the BF 750 first came out about orange glow exhaust pipe at night and lots of heat on the leg.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

thank's for the advice boy's, my local dealer is not much help, what i did was added a little purlple ice to it and it seems to have worked, it's been hot up here and i have rode on lots a slow goin trails, i have not been in any mud holes lately, its been dry, that will be the real test.

now if i can figure out why its backfiring just before im stopped. I have read of other guys having backfiring problems but mines only doing it as i stop.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default brute force coolant and b.f backfire.

The bottom end is running very lean!!!!!Find the low end screws on the carbs and turn them CCW half to a full turn out.This should help.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

All those are good suggestions, and maybe also try running more water (distilled) and less antifreeze. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but I think the only thing the antifreeze is for is to prevent corrosion and, well, freezing (which is obviously not a problem during the summer, even in Canada!). Pure water has a better heat transfer coefficient than antifreeze, and I too was overheating when I put too "rich" of a water/antifreeze mixture into my coolant reservoir. . . and this was in February when the temp was in the teens (Farenheit) while on the lake ice fishing. I replaced it with about 25-30% antifreeze, and haven't had a problem since, even when riding in 90+ weather.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Range Rover

the brute has a recall on the carb needle, it causes a lean condition and backfiring, even the later built ones are affected, mine and my(built in 1 of 05) sons needed it, and run way better after, water wetter is a additive you can buy at any auto parts, add some, it helps them run much cooler.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Range Rover

What does that water wetter stuff do, break down the surface tension of water? I guess this would increase the thermal conductivity of water, and maybe offset some of the loss in thermal capacity when antifreeze is added to pure water.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

Im no chemist, I read about the product on the High Lifter website, they recomend it and sell it, I found mine at auto zone for 8.00, it is a concentrate so you just add a little, but it says up to 20 degrees cooler running, works in my brute and 800 polaris, never had a overheating problem using it in either one.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

Ha ha ha - I'm no chemist either, just a nerd I guess.

Quick Reply: coolant and backfire.