Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Starting Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems!!

Hi All,

I'm new here and new to the ATV world. I just purchased a 185 Bayou. Seemed fine when testing it at the sellers place (though it stalled a few times). 10 minutes after getting it in my yard, it wont start. I traced one of the problems to corroded wires but that only fixed one problem. Now, the starter is catching but fuel isn't getting to the engine (I think).

Here's where I hope you great people can help me. PLEASE!.
With the key in the on position (no engine activity), the fuel filter is ticking/jumping, and I can smell gas.
What could be the problem. (And please remember I'm not an engine whiz) : )

Please help. Thanks a million!

Old 06-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

1st, Get/order you a shop Manual.

Ensure your kill switch is not on & your fuel petcock is on, not out of gas & gas comes out when petcock lever is turned to run position ( run line directly from tank to carb to isolate a bad petcock). Also ensure your battery is good/hot/holding amperage to start it (Autozone will check your battery under load for you)and all battery leads, starter leads & grounds are tight & free of corrosion. Also find your fuses/fuse box & check & reseat all your fuses. Pull your plug and ensure its not fouled/ replace. May try pull starting it to see if its your battery and or to isolate starter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, and thank you for your help.

I've seemed to come back to square one. Now I get nothing, when trying to start. I also still have the fuel filter ticking when the key is in the one position.
Here are a couple other problem symptoms:

1. Solenoid is not clicking when trying to start. (Does that mean there's a solenoid problem?)
2. Previously the solenoid made loud buzzing noises periodically as well, when it would actually work enough to crank the starter.
I know that there is juice from the battery. (Tried two). Also checked and cleaned the wires and connections.

Also, regarding some of your previous suggestions, I don't suppose anyone can tell me where the 'kill switch' is. I can't find the fuses/fuse box either. I'm waiting on a manual, but I'd like to solve this nowand become an official four wheeler!!

Thanks guys.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi again,

I've discovered why it won't turn over. After completely dismantling everthing, cleaning all wires, trying a second battery... The start switch is loose inside the casing.

After fixing that problem, I still can't get it to go. Starter, solenoid and battery are fine. The fuel pump is still clicking (quite loudly), and it seems to get slower and faster at different times. I'm also still getting a strong fuel odour. Regarging the suggestions below, can anyone direct me to the "kill switch" and "fuel petcock".

Again, it's a185 Bayou.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Majority of kill switches are on the handlebars near starter button or choke. Also my try giving it full choke and no throttle while starting it.

Follow your line from gas tank. if not directly under tank, petcock may be near frame. Most have an on, run, reserve and or off position.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kill switch is fine, but doesn't help. Tried the full choke idea, but no go. Cleaned and checked spark plug. Starter is fine.

Any other suggestions. Again, there's a stron fuel odour, when trying to start. I've had the same problem with my car and it turned out to be bad plugs and distributor dampness. Am I overlooking something.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

I,,would go with the cab...your float mite be stuck,,take off the bottom and see if it is moveing freely...and then look at the main jet and see if there is something in it,,,,

Old 06-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Pull your plug, re-attach sparkplug wire & lay it against the frame see if you got a spark. Then pull start or kick start (whichever it has) to see if spark is stronger. Put in new plug tighten. Spray a couple of squirts of either directly in the airfilter & close lid or spray airbox drain line. Ensure fuel petcock is on run, lights are off, give it full choke, hook a battery charger to battery and depress starter button. let it warm up with choke on.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I've replaced the sparkplug, and... no spark. What could it be?

Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Spark plug wire , coil, fuse, and or kill switch. Best bet is to get wiring schematic and an ohm meter, & start checking voltages and connections.