Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt issues

I sold my P700 last Friday, a 2004 model with 300 miles. The buyer called me on Tuesday, explaining that the belt gave out over the weekend. I never had any problems with the belt, and now I feel horrible for the guy. Is this common for the P700? I plan to replace the quad in the fall, and now I'm thinking the beltless Rubicon is the only way to go.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt issues

Sold it only after 300 miles? Belts do let go - wonder how he was riding it when it happened... Rubicon? Not sure if you would step down to that bike once you have driven a V-Twin.

Ahh well. Did you mark As Is on the reciept? Did it have an extended warranty?

Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Belt issues

No extended warranty. I don't think it would have covered a belt, in any event (probably seen as a maintenance item). I'm with you on the V-twin; that power is addictive. But as far as I know, Honda makes the only beltless automatic out there. I MAY be willing to give up some excitement for a more bullet-proof design. We'll see.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt issues

How much did 700 go for? Thinking about selling my 02 if the 800 SRA arrives by next fall. Only got about 550 miles on her & she's running stronger than ever.

Belts are about $70 at dealer & takes about 45 minutes to install. Look at my photos for a cheap secondary spring tool. You don't have to have the primary clutch puller bolt but it makes getting the belt on and off a breeze. rittercycle (http://www.rittercycle.com) sells the primary puller bolt for around $35.

Belts are easy to smoke if you ride in high and try pulling someone out of a stuck or pulling a heavy load and rear wheels stop turning. Get an OEM 700 belt, adjust the deflection and enjoy it.
visit http://atv.dnsalias.com or http://kod.gotdns.com for how to & pictures.

Happy trails. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Belt issues

Sold it for $4800; it was bone stock. I probably could have gotten $5000, but no more. I tried to trade, and was offered a high of $3600. In my neck of the woods, only Honda and Yamaha have any resell value.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt issues

ask the guy who got it from you what gear he was useing when it blew.
i will bet he was riding it in high when it went.
belts wont last long in high gear at low speeds.
it just burns them up.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Belt issues

probably just a abuse issue but i certainly woundnt give up the v-twin for anything else especially when belt maint. is so incredibly easy once you try it go to nyrocs sight to find belt procedure replceament and adjustment. any way dont shy away from the belt for someones elses neglect. abd because you might be afraid of the belt.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt issues

Suzuki and Yamaha CVT systems are more maintenance-free than Polaris and Kawasaki. Although the Honda is the most dependable of all because it has no belts at all of course. However, the Suz/Yamahammer uses different types of clutches that require no adjustment of the belt at all. My owner's manual says to service or replace the belt at 3,000 miles, nothing before that. The belt wil eventually have to be replaced, but that's a long time from now and I won't have to tinker with it until that time. RedGoblin=2 cents

Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt issues

Cant go wrong with the Rubicon. But what happens when that tranny fails? Everything I own is Honda, except for my 4 wheeler (Van, car, pressure washer, you name it). Honda engines - for sure. Take a look at the Bombardier also. Good bikes.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt issues

Why do I see all these people warning of the cost to repair the Hondamatic? I owned a Rubicon and it seemed like the most stout transmission I'd ever seen. I would never have worried about it breaking.

Quick Reply: Belt issues