Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005 | 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!

Check out the Garmin Rino 120. Great gps with a GMRS and FRS radio built right in. I bought the Garmin Topo Canada CD's to use with it and I am really happy with it. Took a bit of practice to get the hang of the thing but once you get the knack, there is no way you could get lost.

Old 09-11-2005 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

One more thing about my recommendation of a color display.....most of the time, depending on how the sun is hitting your quad, a monochrome display can't be read. If you really want to know where you are, etc., you have to stop, take the gps out of the mount, and turn it so you can see what it's telling you. The group I ride with does not like guys stopping for no good reason (I don't like it either), so I just motor on usually, not knowing, might as well not have a gps most of the time we're riding. The color display can be read in just about any light condition.

My next one is definitely going to be a good size color display window with good size memory built-in (no card). Then no use trying to keep up with the Jones', that one will have to last me a long time.

We're getting into the time of year when the prices drop, so I've been shopping around also.

4x4books.com has good prices.

Old 09-12-2005 | 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

KINGSCLEAR: I bought a Garmin etrex Vista C online today from 4x4books.com (they have a gps section in the company). It was $280 for the gps, $33 for the cigarette lighter power adapter, and $15 for the handlbar mount. The total with shipping was $334. It will do everything you want a gps to do, all the sensor stuff like altitude plus a good display of where your truck is and where you are so you can get back.

I've used the etrex vista monochrome quite a bit, and was totally happy with it except for the monochrome display. I'm kind of sorry to bring this up, but I already had mapsource topo cd, which I recommend you get also. Mine has 3 cd's, eastern and western US and also one for Alaska and Hawaii. I hope you can get one for Canada, cause they show all the creeks, main roads, mtns, etc. downloadable into the gps. PM me if you have any questions about how they work, etc.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-12-2005 | 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Kawiyowee, Garmin has a set of topo cd's for Canada as well. There are four CD's in the Topo Canada set that covers all of Canada. I got it online at GPSCity in Calgary. About $150. Pick a map, download it to the gps and you are good to go. I found a lake on the Topo map that I never knew was in this area. Downloaded the map onto my rino 120, set the lake as a "go to", and off i went. Drove my quad as close as I could and then started hoofing it through some pretty nasty bush. 1 1/2 hours later I pop through the trees and there's the lake, right where the gps said it would be!!! I marked my quad as a waypoint before I left and set it as a "go to" on the way back as I was taking a diferent route on the way out. Worked like a hot damn

Old 09-12-2005 | 09:42 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well I made a purchase on the weekend,thanks to all all you that replied. I ended up going with the Garmin Etrex Legend. It was a good price and seemed to have what I needed. I do want to perchase the Topo maps for Canada.I would like to speak with anyone who has this Garmin product. I do have problems with electronics and I have a few stupid questions. Thanks Guys

Old 09-12-2005 | 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Kingsclear, check this out. TOPO This is all you'll need if you want to use your gps strictly in the bush. If you want city maps you have to buy a whole different set of CD's.

Old 09-13-2005 | 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

mastrblastr, great example of how to use a gps and what it's capable of.

kingsclear, you have a good gps there, just not as much memory as a vista. Make sure you have extra batteries in your pocket. Now you can go have fun with your mates or family and know you can get them back out without circling, etc.

Old 09-13-2005 | 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Guys, check this out. rino 530 Now that is a cool gps!!!! Color display, 5 mile radio range, electronic compass, barometric altimeter, all the good stuff!!

Old 09-13-2005 | 08:17 AM
|
Pro Rider

I'm very interested in the topo map, so this is a CD and I down load it on to the unit from my computer. I did purchase the 12 volt power supply cord for when it is on my bike or in my truck

Old 09-13-2005 | 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yup. You pick the map you want to download (maps are grid patterned), highlight it and save it to your gps (which is plugged into your computer via a ubs port). I have 4 or 5 maps on mine right now. The Topo program has a ton of instructions with it to make it really simple to use. Like anything, it takes a while to get the hang of it. There are a lot of neat features on the program. You can save a track on your gps and then download it back onto your Topo maps so you can see where you've been on the map on the computer. Very cool. Also, you can create a route on the computer, download it to your gps and then use that like a breadcrumb trail to follow when you get out into the bush. It took me a while to figure out all the features but I got a really good handle on it now. At least the parts I need to use!!

Quick Reply: GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!