Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 10:21 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!

Thanks Mastrblastr, sounds like what I'm looking for. I see it will take some time getting used to it is a fairly intricate little unit

Old 09-14-2005 | 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

If you come to a stopping point and just can't figure it out, don't hesitate to ask. I started out by driving my truck around the neighborhood trying to figure it out. Didn't get lost one time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Garmin has a good support team also, in addition to myself and mastrblastr.

Old 09-14-2005 | 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

IMHO, I think they put too much stuff on these units. I don't want to play games, I don't want to create a map, I don't need a calculator or area finder. It's just ridiculous. I wanted one with the radio built in and thats why I got the rino 120. I don't need all that other stuff it comes with, so what do you do. I'm more than happy with my rino, but the manufacturers out there really need to look at why we buy these things--------SO WE DON"T GET LOST!!!!!!

Any help you need Kingsclear, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not the best on these things, but I got a good handle on how they work.

Old 09-14-2005 | 09:40 AM
|
Pro Rider

I agree ,there is a little to much on these things. Don't need the calculator or the sunset / sunrise stuff. I might use the ares square footage feature. What do I do well if your talking job I'm the John Deere Warranty administrator for the Maritimes.great job and interesting for sure get to still play and watch the mighty machines and tonka's go. I had a look at your pics ,man you have made some neat stuff,quality looking stuff my friend, are you a welder full time or as a hobbiest. I have a buddy that has a tig and we have been building some stuff out of aluninum. I do a lot of mig work at home for fun but haven't mastered the tig yet.

Old 09-14-2005 | 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Welder by trade. Been doing it for 22 years now. Making stuff for my quad is half the fun of owning it! Anybody can buy something and bolt it on, but when you design and build it yourself it's just that much cooler!

Old 09-15-2005 | 08:10 AM
|
Pro Rider

I agree and the stuff your building is a lot higher quality then the stuff you purchase. I went and had a look at the gas can holder $69.99 up here for it. All it is is some flat bar ,took about 45 mins to cut bend weld and paint one up.

Old 09-16-2005 | 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

I BOUGHT A GARMIN ETREX LEGEND AT WALMART IT WORKS EXC IF YOU BUY THE GARMIN TOPO CD AND DOWNLOAD THE AREAS YOULL BE RIDING IN IT SHOWS EVERYTHING AND YOU CAN PROGRAM WAY POINT RIGHT ON YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU GO RIDING AND IT WILL EVEN SHOW SOME TRAILS WORKS EXC

Old 09-16-2005 | 01:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey BruteForce, seems like a descent model, so do you down load the whole thing or just the area's your riding in . I'm not having much luck with the track back feature do you use this much. I'm expecting more then it will give possible. I thought if I used it it would have a drawn trail on the screen and tell me where to turn each timeon my way home. I get home late some times and it would be a nice option in the dark. I'm definitely going to get the topo map for up here maybe that's what I need for the trackback feature

Old 09-17-2005 | 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Kingsclear, it should be leaving a "breadcrumb" trail that you can follow on your return trip. Also, you can set a waypoint (like where you left your truck) before you go anywhere. Drive all over the country and when you want to go back to your truck, set the truck waypoint as a "go to" and go to the navigation page. The little arrow on the navigation page will point you in the direction you need to go to get back to your truck. It sounds a little overwhelming but once you do it a couple times, it's no big deal. Also, with the "breadcrumb" trail (track) that should be on the map page screen, all you do is follow that back out of the bush by watching the map page screen and following the breadcrumb trail backwards. Start playing dude!!!! It's the best way to figure out how to use that thing!!

BTW, I made a bunch of those gas can holders and sold them to my buddies in no time! $60. To be quite honest though, by the time you figure out the time involved and cost of material, It's really not a money maker. The ones you buy are garbage IMO. I had a buddy that had one on his rubicon. Long story short, the bungee cord broke and he lost his gas can, then a bolt came out and the whole damn thing was hanging off his back rack by one bolt. He was extremely pissed as he had to rob some gas off the rest of us to get back out. He was last man in the group so no one saw him lose the gas can. We searched and searched but couldn't find it (night ride). Found it the next day but he bought one of my holders and there is no worries about it coming off now!! With a ratchet and 1" nylon strap holding it in there, the chance of it coming out are extremely small. I sold one on ebay for $90!!!!! Couldn't believe it!!!

Old 09-17-2005 | 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

mastrblastr...

Just checked out your picks.
Love the add-ons.

Quick Reply: GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!