Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Taking BF650 for first ride tomorrow – question about Hi and Low gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005 | 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Taking BF650 for first ride tomorrow – question about Hi and Low gears

Captain,

I had the exact same problem with my seat on my first ride as well. I asked the dealer about it and he said the same as some of the other threads below.

There is a plastic tab in the centerline of the seat about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the seat, and a corresponding sheet metal slot on the frame. What happens is, that if the plastic tab on the seat doesn't get underneath and in the slot, it rides on top. This can be seen by inspecting the plastic tab on the seat. On mine, you could see scratches and gouges where the tab was sitting on top of the slot instead of in it.

The fix...flex the tab down before you put the seat on. Next, make sure you have the seat back far enough before pushing it forward and engaging both the tab in the front and the other one in question.

Once I did this, I didn't have seat problems anymore.

Hope it helps.

JT

Old 09-19-2005 | 12:40 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Taking BF650 for first ride tomorrow – question about Hi and Low gears

This is really funny - you are all dead on about the seat. First of all, I didn't even realize the seat had the center tab. I only knew about the one up front. I checked this morning and saw the center tab and realized that it most likely never locked in place during my ride yesterday. Then I just read Jay Tee's post a few minutes ago and laughed because sure as the day is long, I remember seeing all these gouges and scratch marks on the center plastic tab this morning. So now it's obvious that the center tab was in fact riding on top of the metal insert getting chewed away as my fat a$$ was bouncing up and down on the seat for 5 hours.

I now have the remedy. You guys are all a wealth of information. Thanks.