Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

fixed it but lost top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed it but lost top speed?

After many hours of tinkering I found why the pririe wasnt running like it should. The fuel return line was clogged in the rear carb over filling the bowl, and the choke plungers were stuck half open. I had the carbs stripped down about as far as they can get.

It runs great now very responsive, wheelies in high at 8mph. The problem is I lost 10 mph on top speed. after alot of jetting I got it from 42 top speed to were it runs 62 but when it was screwed up I had it to 72 (all on the speedo).

Whats the deal? Belt deflections good, Air filter clean, new gas, new plugs, new oil and filter, no snorkle blockage, vacume lines all hooked correctly, carb slides open equal and all the way, valves just adjusted.

I dont understand how it can run so good now and be slower than before?

Two issues ive considered, when I had the carbs apart I guessed on the carb sync- the butterflies appear to be opening together. Another is ive noticed the pilot screw on the rear carb doesnt make much difference if its all the way in or out, the front screw adjust the rpm as it should but the back really does nothing. Help me out guys, any ideas???