Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Will Taller Tires Break My Stuff Faster??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Taller Tires Break My Stuff Faster??

Hi All - I have an 05 BF650 - TieRod Recall has been done. Gonna put 27" MudLite XTR's on it. Will the bigger tire put more stress on the Belt?, Engine?, Steering parts?? Should I change the way I ride? - More time in Low Range? Will a Moose Module make any difference with the taller tire?? I only have about 100 miles on it and the OEM (junk) tires and (junk) Rims are shot!! I ride some ugly Central PA Rocky trails (Murph and vicinity) and the OEM setup took a serious beating in a hurry!!. Thanx for any input....JS

Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, taller tires will put more wear and tear on your front diff and steering components. I bought a 2002 P650 with only 400 miles on it and it had 27" tires, lift kit, etc. The first thing I did was remove the oversized tires and repair the worn out parts...tie rod ends, ball joints, and the steering stem too (b/c the tie rods had wallowed out the holes where they connect to the bottom of the steering stem). This was approx $500 in parts. The slop from these parts (esp. the ball joints) led to the left side CV having slop where it enters the front diff and this allowed mud/water to contaminate the inside...a few months later (now), I find myself getting the front diff rebuilt b/c the insides came apart! That's another 1,000 or damage! My advice to you is to use 25" tires...if you must use taller tires, at least use the lightest ones possible so as to reduce the added stress a little and also be sure to inspect your steering components and front diff seals often.

The module should help you take off faster from 0 to about 5 mph...this is espcially needed if you run larger/heavier tires that natually rob you of HP/torque. However, the modules don't do anything for your mid range/top-end power. You will need a new CDI (Dyna currently sells one or you can wait for the upcoming VDI brand) to get better performance from bottom to top-speed, but it also costs you more $$.

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

yes it will wear out faster, but 27" tires shouldnt be a problem that you would notice. maybe your shaving a couple of days off but not much with those, unless it is a super aggresive tire like an outlaw or vampire or something the more aggresive tire you run the more wear it will have.. but if you are riding rocky terrain I would go with a 26" set of big horns and I think you will be amazed with the tires. as for wheels I'd go super grip they have the bling factor and they are cheap. for a module I have the moose and I think its the most bang for the buck you can buy!

Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

The first thing I did was remove the oversized tires and repair the worn out parts...tie rod ends, ball joints, and the steering stem too (b/c the tie rods had wallowed out the holes where they connect to the bottom of the steering stem). This was approx $500 in parts. The slop from these parts (esp. the ball joints) led to the left side CV having slop where it enters the front diff and this allowed mud/water to contaminate the inside...a few months later (now), I find myself getting the front diff rebuilt b/c the insides came apart! That's another 1,000 or damage!
Thanx for the replys.... Do You think <u>ALL</u> that damage was from the tires?? Seems like a lot!? I do have a feeling I'll be spending more time in Low Gear though!!......JS

Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I don't think ALL of my damage was from the larger tires. I am sure it was a combination of the taller/heavier tires (generally causes more wear and tear on steering components, etc.) and the lift kit/lift springs (generally causes the angles of the CVs to change and wear out CV joints faster, etc.). I've seen so many posts by (any brand) 4x4 quad owners when they talk about broken axles, CV joints, worn out or broken tie rod ends, etc. and time and time again most of these folks have oversized mud tires and lift kits. Between the two mods, I'd guess the lift kits are harder on the quad than the oversized tires, but the oversized tires are definitely a factor as well IMO.

Yes, use low range whenever you are riding a slow speeds for extended period of time (like 10 mph or less for a mile or more). Also, never pull loads or other quads out of deep holes unless you are in LOW RANGE. Also, use Low range when climbing steep hills slowly. These will help your belt last longer...but honestly, the best thing for a long belt life is to frequently check and adust the belt tension to be within spec!

PS - If I were buying oversized tires for rocky trails, I'd definitely buy the 26" Maxxis Bighorns as suggested above (I think another brand makes a knock off tire with the same tread pattern and a better price...maybe Green Ball Corp aka GBC???).

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think 26's would do too awful much as far as wearing out parts goes. My dad has 26" mudlite XL's on his TP and he loves them.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for all the replys guys - Always a lot of willing, helpful people here. Hey Cobra - I live in eldorado - can ride from my house to Murph in 20 Min. Maybe I'll see you there - might go tomorrow to try out the tires....Mike

Old 11-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JumboShrimp
Thanx for all the replys guys - Always a lot of willing, helpful people here. Hey Cobra - I live in eldorado - can ride from my house to Murph in 20 Min. Maybe I'll see you there - might go tomorrow to try out the tires....Mike
Cool, believe it or not I have never been up there. Ive been riding a ton of other places and never made it up there even though I am so close. I got a bunch of buddies that ride up there though, hoping to maybe make it up next spring or summer.