Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2001 Prairie 300 & 400 4X4..Are They The Best Bang For The Buck???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this works, it's my first post...

My in-laws have 2 Prairie 400 4x4s and I ride them quite often. The ride quality is probably the best I've experienced on any ATV. The only thing I wish they had was selectable 2 wheel drive for the times you want to have little more fun on the trails. I'm thinking of putting a deposit down on the new Prairie 650, which will have selectable 2 wheel drive. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-07-2000, 12:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Bartolo you say they are on of the best atv's that you have been on. What else would compare to them. The only atv's that i have ever ridden have been my own. The dealers around Fort Worth don't let you ride them. I bought a honda trx 250 fourtracks new in 1985,and rode it until 1999 when i bought a couple of kawi- Bayou 220, Lakota, Yamaha Badger 80. Whithout being able to ride the machines i had to rely on what i thought appeared to be the best built for the price. I bought my parents a 2000 paririe 300. I am know looking to get one more machine. I have pretty much decided on the Paririe 400 2 wheel drive. This new machine should last 10 years i hope. My only other choice is the srambler 500. Have you ever ridden one. I will not be jumping anything or riding anywhere but home. The people on these forums seem to know more than the dealers. I am slightly dissapointed in the 220, but my wife loves it. I am not brand loyal like some, just want the best machine for me and my money. I used to think i was hared on these machines, but after reading these forums i must be pretty docile. The only repair that has ever been done was the 250 honda front brakes, due to some seal failure. I am going to send the machines in this winter for valve adj. and brake jobs.

Old 11-07-2000, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

14mins---I have a 1997 Prairie 400 4x4. It rides very much like the new ones. The new ones have much more "snap" than mine (quicker throttle response). In /99 they put in a lighter crank and flywheel, a simpilar C.V.transmission with a lower low range and a higher high range (which gave it a top speed of about 57 mph compared to mine which is about 50, and a higher compression piston, to name a few things. I rode one and was impressed at the difference. If you ride your friend's /97, and then a new one, you will notice quite a difference, even though they are still both 400 c.c.'s. It doesn't have much more horsepower, but the lightweight engine components get rid of the sluggish throttle response that the 97 and 98 had, and it feels much more powerful. The transmission's low and high range spread is a bit more useable also. As far as the ride goes, I haven't ridden a Prairie 300, but from what I have read, I assume it is very similar to the 400 as the suspension is basically the same. If you are comparing your friend's 400 4x4 with your 300 2WD, I'm sure you will notice that the steering is stiffer. My wife finds my 4X4 a bit stiff to steer when going slowly, although as far as 4X4's go, its not bad at all. I would bet that the new Prairie 400 2WD is very peppy, because of the weight difference from the 4x4.
You mentioned a Scrambler 500. You have't indicated what you do with your quads. If you don't need racks or much rear-end ground clearance, and don't mind a chain drive, I'm sure it would be a lot of fun. It is a fast quad,(I think about 65 mph.) but it's hard to compare to a Prairie because it's a sports quad, not intended for work. As far as the Prairie's go,if you like the 300, you'll love the 400!

Old 11-08-2000, 01:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

jscyoung: I mainly just ride around to house, I presently own a 1999 Lakota with some mods on it. If i need to do any work around my place usually just take the truck. I like a pretty snappy ride. I built a pretty good track behind the house. My land has about 3000 feet of river frontage,like to go down to the river bottom and ride. I don't really ever catch any air. I really like the Lakota, have alot of fun on it. Looking for a softer ride and a little bigger machine. Old age is catching up with me. Don't want to shift all the time. I have 8 screws and two rods in my back,along with a battery, thats why i don't jump much, still like to go fast though.I guess that i just want a new toy. I am not going to get rid of the other wheelers. We can always use one for friends. Just want to get the right quad. I figure the scrambler is sportier, the kawi softer. The fit and finish on the kawis of mine is great. I try to ride every day to check the cows, turkey, deer ect. to have fun. Usually make a loop of mine and my parents place. I think after reading these forums i would have less trouble with the kawi. But i know that you can tear up anything. I think the polaris riders ride harder than i do. Your thoughts.

Old 11-08-2000, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

14mins, Sorry to hear about your back. I can see where good suspension and an automatic would be very helpful. Is your Lakota rough riding? I have never ridden one.
I have a copy of the November issue of Dirtwheels. It has a test of the 2001 Scrambler 500 2WD. They say it isn't a great jumper because it weighs 523 lbs. and that makes it a bit hard to move around while airborne (which you said you don't care about anyway---this was the only thing they didn't really like about it), but it has great suspension with 8.2" up front and 10.5" at the rear! They said "The total suspension package works great at pounding over rough stuff at high speed. Even sharp-edged holes and ruts are soaked up as well as on any other quad suspension system on the market. And with the extra-cushy seat, the ride at slow speeds is equally as comfortable." They can't get more complimentary than that! It has a turning radius of about 60" which (I think) is quite a bit tighter than the Prairie's.
It has the new high output engine also, so there is no doubt that it would be much faster than the Prairie 400. It also has a top speed of over 65 mph.. Have you read the article? If you want an automatic sport quad, this is the only one there is! By the sound of what you are looking for, it might just be the perfect machine. It also comes in a 4WD version. I have never been a big fan of Polaris because although they offer some great features, I dont think they have the same quality as some of the other manufacturers, but it sounds like they are getting better. Since you look after your machines and you don't abuse them , it would probably be great. From what I have read on the "Connection", a lot of kids really abuse their ATV's so it's no wonder they break down. There is a place here in Kelowna, B.C. that rents ATV's and they have the Scrambler 500 2WD.. I would like to try it out also. The guy there said that the Polaris quads are a bit more prone to breaking than some of the others, but if they can take the abuse of renters, they can't be too bad. He likes the Polaris dealer here, and has no trouble getting repairs if needed. Dirtwheels said the suggested retail price is 5450.00 U.S.. I don't know what the 2WD Kawasaki Prairie 400 is. For just playing, I think the Scrambler would be more fun than the Prairie, (now you've got me really wanting to try one out---but renting is expensive!) but you can't beat the Prairie's fit and finish. Let us know what you buy.

Old 11-08-2000, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

I bought my wife a 2000 Kawi Prairie 300 4x4 and I have a Yamaha Grizzly 600. I am impressed with the Prairie ! It goes the same place the Griz goes (I get stuck) and it has never has gotten stuck. It is a very sure footed machine. Its great if you don't need to work the machine (pull a trailer or plow)and use it for casual riding.

Old 11-09-2000, 12:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

jscyoung; Thanks for taking your time to reply. The Lakota is not rough riding but firm compared to my parents prairie 300. I have not adjusted the shocks since i bought it. I have been meaning to try that. My parents 300 came with a wrench to adjust the rear shock. It wont fit the front of the Lakota though. I need to get a wrench to fit the front, don't want to use a pipewrench. I am going to check out the scambler 500. I just have way to much going on for the next month. Plan on getting a new wheeler by x-mas. The price on the 400 is very apealing to me. Have not checked the actual selling prices of scamblers around Ft. Worth Tx. The dealer that sells them in Weatherford is a total jerk. In 1999 went done to buy a Warrior with checkbook in hand. I spend 5 minutes of his time(I had narrowed it down between the warrior and lakota) I asked him what the best price i could get was, He said 4949, my reply was i thought that was the list price. Anyway to make long story short he got obnoxios with me and i left, and got the Lakota that day. When i went to atv school to get my 100 dollars back from kawi it was held at his dealership. My wife and mom also went to atv school at his dealership, so i guess i got the last laugh. Had he not been a turd, i might have 3 Yamaha or polaris machines now.In hindsight i am glad i got the kawasaki's. Sorry to go off on that rant. I did ride the 400 of my neighbor down the rode for 5 minutes today, but it was wet and cold came to no real conclusion of it. Hope to ride it sometime in the next 3 weeks when the wather is better. I have not seen to many quads in action. I did see the article in one of the 4 wheeler mags on the scrambler 500, sounds good to me. I am sure i will change my mind between the 2 quads often over the next month until i buy one. I wonder if the price of the 400 (actual selling price) will come done with the release of the new 650. I read all the forums and i like the replies in the kawi the best. Alot of the others always seem to be in a pissing contest to me. I just want to enjoy the riding. Don't care who's got this or that, this quad or that quad bites etc. It does not seem like Tx. has near the places to ride that other states do, hard for me to believe. I would like to go and ride. Next year my wife and i are going to try out a few places in Ak. when my work slows down. Your turn. sorry i went off on a couple of tangents there.

Old 11-11-2000, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

14mins---Adjusting the spring tension on your Lakota may make a very noticeable difference to the ride.
Its too bad that some dealers ruin chances for potential customers. Unless they have a far superior product, (Honda dealers seem to come to mind as being able to sell without having to offer much in the way of "good deals") they are usually the ones that go out of buisness. Its important to have a dealer that you can trust to give you a fair price and good service after the sale, especially if you are not mechanically inclined. When I bought my Prairie, I got it for a really good price.
Now that you mention it, there do seem to be less childish remarks and quad bashing in the Kawasaki forum than in the others that I have read. Its nice to see! Some of the posts are just ridiculous, but then they are usually kids that are all fired up. I hope that it doesn't mean that Kawasakis better suit the "older " crowd. Just kidding!
You were wondering if the price of the Prairie 400's will come down when the 650 is out. I wouldn't hold my breath. The price of the 650 will most likely be quite a bit higher anyway. Here in Canada the Polaris Sportsman 500 is quite a bit higher than the 400 Prairie, so I'm guessing that the 650 will be about the same price. I'm told that the Rubicon is right up there too. I've been thinking that it would be nice to have the 650, but the difference I'd have to pay from my /97 Prairie would be plenty! I don't know if the extra features would be worth several thousand dollars, especially when my Prairie is in showroom condition. It has really been babied. I thought that it would be worth a lot more like that, but the year is the big thing, even when selling privately. I can always dream though!

Old 11-11-2000, 10:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

JSCyoung; I posted in the polaris forum about the scrambler 500, waiting on replies. If i get a chance monday i am going by the mechanics shop that did the mods to my Lakota. Will get him to back off the preload? on my quad. Might swing by the polaris dealer for a quick look around. I know that i am getting a new quad in december/january i have already made my mind up to get one. Just got to have a new toy. My biggest concern is will i still be happy with my choice 5 years from now? 5 quads(counting the 1986 honda 250 fortrax) is the limit according to my wife.Do you have alot of trails to ride on where you live? Do you ride on your own property? It amazes me that Tx. does not have many public places to ride that i am aware of.

Old 11-12-2000, 05:46 AM
Pro Rider

14mins, I have never owned a Polaris, so I don't know how the Scrambler would stand up over time.
You asked if I have many places to ride. Here in B.C., Canada you can ride on most public land (which a lot of the province is), provided you stick to existing trails, so there are many good riding areas. I'm very fortunate here in Kelowna to have a recreational area full of trails that are used by mountain bikers, hikers, motorcycle and ATV riders that starts only 1/2 mile from my house and in city limits. I ride down the side of the road to get to it right from my house, although legally I should trailer my ATV to the area. Most of the people around here do the same thing, and as long as we aren't bothering anyone, the neighbours don't complain, since we live in a rural area. The only really annoying thing is kids with 2-stroke bikes because they are so noisy. I only have a 1/2 acre lot, so there isn't much riding room at home, although I do use the ATV around the house to tow a trailer when picking up tree branches or for snow plowing the driveway in the winter etc.. This is a really nice area for ATV riding. When I lived about 100 miles north of here, our house was farther from a designated riding area. It was on the other side of town, about 20 minutes away. I used to ride on the logging roads out of town, but didn't have much of an area near our house to ride---just a few hundred acres in a field which didn't have many challenging hills or anything. Most of it was nearly flat and boring. As the city expands here, houses are being built closer to the riding area all the time. I hope the city doesn't turn this riding area into housing. If they do, I'll have to trailer my ATV out of town to go riding. That wouldn't be nearly as convenient, but what can you do? It hasn't happened yet, so hopefully it won't.

Quick Reply: 2001 Prairie 300 & 400 4X4..Are They The Best Bang For The Buck???