Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2001 Prairie 300 & 400 4X4..Are They The Best Bang For The Buck???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing research on the Prairie's too and the best best bang for the buck seems to be the Prarie's.I've done weeks of research on a couple of others ATV's and the only one I keep coming to want to buy is the Prairie 400.The only problem I have is it beeing fully automatic.I was raised on motorcycles and in the same boat as you.I got married and looking for something for me and my wife.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bamamam...
Thanks for responding to the original question to this thread...It was getting somewhat off track but, is still very interesting to read nonetheless. I hope my very close neighbor 14mins down in Aledo has found that one ATV that will last him for many years to come. It is a pretty good chunk of change one has to lay out for these darn things so it is very important to do the reasearch needed to make sure you get exact ATV that will suit one's needs. I to as you have only one problem with the Prairie 4X4 and that is not that it is an automatic transmission, that's easy to get use to you'll see. My problem is that their is not a switchable 2X4 and 4X4 option. I feel that not having a switchable linkage limits the degree of fun that one can have on an ATV. Besides that, there is not much I don't like about the Prairie 400 4X4. Furthermore, I do not know any other ATV that offers the same quailty and options for the money as the Prairie. That is one of the reasons I made this post in the first place. As you, I too have done a bunch of reasearch and still can't find an ATV that does what the Prairie does for the money. I do like the Scrambler and Sportsman type machines because of their ability to switch into 2 and 4 wheel drive options but, they are more expensive and I am not into that belt slipping thing that I hear so much about...Just scares me to think I could be up to my tail-pipe in water and not be able to move because the drive belt is slipping. No way! I'll pass on that one. The Prairies on the other hand have a sealed drive-belt compartment. That is the only way to go. Well, thanks again for getting back to me about the initial post and if you find any more information about the Prairie or any ATV that may interest us, please make a post or email me. Thanks again...

Doug
Lillian, TX

Old 11-17-2000, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

I think most people that have repyed to you have had nothing but good to say about the Praire's. I've been riding mine every week-end for almost 2 years (300 4x4). I've ridin the Wolverine, the Polaris Sportsman, the Foreman 400 4x4 and I have no problem telling you that the ride of the Praire is probably the best in it's class. Not only that but I've topped out 50mph on flat surface. You can always drop the weight by changing the pipe and do a little fine tuning to add a little speed. If you are a mud loving fool like me I will guarantee you will enjoy the Praire output. There has not been a hole I have taken and lost to that another friend hasn't lost to as well. It'll keep up with the best of them.

I have also found that manuverability (spelling?) is pretty good on the Praire. If they tell you a 600 lb 4x4 can't jump then they are lying to you.

My only 2 problems I have had with my Praire would be the belt and the lack of stability in the mountains with the rear suspension. If you're gonna go to the mountains I would go with a Polaris Sportsman 500. But if it is mostly flat riding the best bang for the buck is the Praire. The 2001 I believe have engine braking.

Forrest

Old 11-19-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

14mins,
if your back is really as bad as you say and you want a quad for years to come , you should consider Polaris Sportsman 400 /500 with Independent Rear Suspension.It provides an unmatched riding comfort.
Joe

Old 11-19-2000, 08:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

COLT 77; my back is worse than i said. I'm only 37 years old. I try not to let it get in the way of having a good time though. Generally pay for 2 weeks for a afternoon of fun. Saturday November 18th finally looked at a polaris scrambler 500. The owner said the price out the door was 5174.00. I'm not sure of the retail price. The kawi dealer will sell the prairie 400 for a little less. I find it hard to belive that polaris machines weigh so much. The front end did not seem to beefy to me. Anyway i like the machine. I am still 30 days away from buying one. The prairie 400 is still first on my list today, might change tommorow. Probably will come down to which dealer is in a better mood the day i go to get one. Does the prairie 400 handle good on long,fast,smooth sweeping corners around 50 mph? I'm not sure of the top speed of my parents prairie 300. I would figure about 45 mph. Does anybody know? The more i think about a new quad the more undecided i get. Each one has good and bad points to them.

Old 11-19-2000, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

I just traded a '96 bayou 300 in for the 300praire,with reasoning behind me, i chose the 300 because it has basically the same motor as my old bayou(which performed flawlessly for 4 years)I also moved to the praire for a better ride, easy operation, and dependability. If I get the same use from the praire as I did my bayou, I will replace it someday with another of the same mold. The only hold back I see is because of the belt drive, I wouldn't put larger or more aggressive tires on due to the fact it may damage the drive belt(Iprefer stock any way), so if you want bigger badder tires I suggest the rancher for that. So I would conclude that if you don't want to make any alterations then your looking at the perfect setup.......happy trails

Old 11-19-2000, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I just traded a '96 bayou 300 in for the 300praire,with reasoning behind me, i chose the 300 because it has basically the same motor as my old bayou(which performed flawlessly for 4 years)I also moved to the praire for a better ride, easy operation, and dependability. If I get the same use from the praire as I did my bayou, I will replace it someday with another of the same mold. The only hold back I see is because of the belt drive, I wouldn't put larger or more aggressive tires on due to the fact it may damage the drive belt(Iprefer stock any way), so if you want bigger badder tires I suggest the rancher for that. So I would conclude that if you don't want to make any alterations then your looking at the perfect setup.......happy trails

Old 11-20-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Douger,
people who complain about a belt slipping on the Polaris Sportsman most likely never owned one. I have been reading this forum for a long time and this nonsense was discussed many times. The belt on the Sportsman may slip only when you hit the water high speed. Period. If you keep slow,steady speed you will be able to cross deep water with no problem at all.I've done that many , many times.I also test drove many Quads before I bought my SP500 a couple years ago and I am very satisfied with it.I am not biased I'd buy whatever i like. I test drove Praries,too,I liked them,but Independent rear suspension on the SP 500 decided. I've read so many negative posts before I bought my Quad,most of them just second hand opinions.
Some time ago, there was a post here,complaining about the Kawasaki spare parts cost.... check that out,too...!
I have to admit ,that I am completely hooked on The Independent rear suspension.I would have a hard time to ride and buy anything else.I wish Kodiak had IRS,it would be most likely my choice./if it kept its weight...though/
Joe

Old 11-21-2000, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

14mins you asked if the 400 Prairie handles well on long sweeping corners at 50 mph. Well I don't know about the 2 wheeel drive, but the 4 wheel drive handles very well under those conditions. I have hit unexpected potholes and ruts at that speed with mine that had me gritting my teeth and expecting the worst, only to fly right by with minimal jolting (much to my pleasure!). It really is a forgiving machine. Thats why I picked it over the Honda Foreman in the first place.