Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bf 650 vs grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bf 650 vs grizzly 660

New to ATV's and have narrowed down list to B/F 650 vs Grizzly 660 primarliy because of dealer proximity - anyone have insights they would like to share? Will be use primarily for trail running / camping.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend runs the grizz and I run the bf650, In snow(grizz) he tends to get froze up in the carbs more because of the engine being more covered. I brake trail more,I have alittle more clearance and I rely on him to winch me out cause I go a bit farther and deeper snow/mud.
Grizz has better suspention,I just increased tention on the 650 under seat better (torque)Grizz sits higher more tippy. comfort go for the grizz, mud fun go for the 650, both are very enjoyable

Old 12-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

kawasaki all the way

Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kvf650man
My friend runs the grizz and I run the bf650, In snow(grizz) he tends to get froze up in the carbs more because of the engine being more covered. I brake trail more,I have alittle more clearance and I rely on him to winch me out cause I go a bit farther and deeper snow/mud.
Grizz has better suspention,I just increased tention on the 650 under seat better (torque)Grizz sits higher more tippy. comfort go for the grizz, mud fun go for the 650, both are very enjoyable
I dont normally Quote people But if you have the BF 650Solid rear axle , How do you have more ground clearance than a Griz? do you have oversized tires?Even with big tires it would still be close even with the 650 irs . Yes the 650 is a awesome mudder , I have found my griz to be just as good as my 02 prairie 650.The thing about the griz carbs I have never expierienced that, and have rode many times in the winter, is it because of snow sucking in the airbox or does he have water in the gas? I would think with the motor covered the snow would melt better , I can really feel the heat coming out from my plastic when riding in the winter,keeps me warm. just a thought. Either is a great quad.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

the prarie is definately a better swimmer. i have 27 mudlites. i have got my two inch lift,but i haven't put it on yet. when my four wheeler was stock with big tires i smoked evry grizz that i raced. i am in south georgia and snow is not a problem but my 650 stays in water and it does fine.i am just partial to the prarie and wouldn't own anything else. for one reason i know the limits to what i can do without breaking stuff. unless i have been drinking . then i tend to push the envelope.lol. i hope i have helped

Old 12-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

IRS squats alot. Believe me I know all my friends have IRS and I have the SRS. Still go just as many and more places....

Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Both are good machines.I assume you are comparing the 650i.The power edge goes to the BF.I also agree the Kaw is a better swimmer.Many a time I have our Grizzs take on water when the others have not (in the belt).If you want a nice cushy ride especially over rocks I would get the Grizz.The Bf 750 is not as tippy but ride a little more harsh so I assume this will carry over to the 650i.I personally like Kaws diff lock engagement over Yamahas.
One other thing...........I know there will be people saying theirs does not do it but we have an 02 with the recall done and TWO 04's and on hot days and slow riding they still boil gas!.
One guy with an 04 wrapped his exhaust and this helped greatly.I am talking about the Grizzs of course.
You will do less belt maintainence on the Yamaha,I think they have the best belt drive hands down but it is less tuneable.
Try and ride both and decide for yourself.
02 650 Camo.
Formerly Kodiac1

Old 12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 2004 700Prairie and a 2006 grizzly that I just purchased, I dont have many kms on the griz but the ride is supperior as far as comfort, the prairie ride is alot rougher but much sportier, Power wise me and a buddy just recently raced them and to my suprise the grizzly was much quicker, but it has stock tires on it, the kawi has 25 inch 589's on it. If I had to choose, well I couldnt, they are both awesom bikes. If you have back problems go with the grizzly, oh and if you want a bike with a sweat sound the kawi hands down, the griz sounds terrible.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

I like the look of the griz way more than the prairie. When I was looking at the Griz V Prairie, I heard that IFS will squat a lot when towing, that was important to me as this quad has to work for me, plowing, pulling drags, working. I love the simplicity of the prairie rearend.

Yam engines are cold blooded, I have experienced that with their bikes, boat motors, and quads. But I have always had good luck.

From my polaris buddies the griz doesnt seem to do too well in the mud, they say they get tippy and they get wet. Now I have not experienced that frist hand.

If kawi ever drops the prairie I would buy a Griz.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

Cootie, you should specify which BF650 you're looking at - for 2006, the BF650 comes in two flavors: one with the SRA (solid rear axle) and the other with IRS (Independent Rear Suspension). The IRS BF650i looks just like the BF750.

I have an '05 BF650 with an SRA and it is just an awesome quad. As someone else said above, the SRA gives it a more sportier feel in that you can really whip the ***-end of the quad around tight turns very easily by simply blipping the throttle. This is great to have on the trails. The Grizzly has IRS. I rode one a couple of weeks ago and it definitely has a more plush and comfortable ride to it. It was nice but I thought the handlebars were a bit high. Maybe that's why some say it feels "tippy." I rode with two guys who were both riding Grizzlies and I'd say our quads were very comparable in terms of what they could do.

You will likely be happy with either machine, especially for trail running and camping trips. I am partial to the Brute. It is definitely nice to hear the sweet sound of that V-twin under you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: bf 650 vs grizzly 660