Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Interesting Summary of ATV laws in the US

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006 | 04:20 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Interesting Summary of ATV laws in the US

FYI: I just found the following 1 page table that summarizes some interesting ATV laws on SVIA.ORG

PS - Much to my surprise, 21 states have some kind of weight limit on ATVs (ranges from 600lbs to 1,000 lbs).

http://www.svia.org/InfoSheets/ATV_Chart_2005-May.pdf

Old 02-13-2006 | 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting, I didnt know they had a weight limit on ATV's. I saw a couple states had 600 and 650lb limits. That would make alot of ATV's illegal in that state. The majority of the big bore ATV's are over 600lbs, and there are a few over 650.

Old 02-13-2006 | 11:32 PM
|
Pro Rider

Cobra,
Actually, most of the Japanese-made Big Bore Utes are limited to 600 lbs (or extemely close to it anyway). I've always heard that these companies did so under a voluntary agreement...these quads include the Honda Rincon, Kaw. Prairie 700 & BF 750, Suz TP 700 & KQ700, and the Yam Grizzly. On the other hand, the north american-made Big Bore Utes do not adhere to this 600lb limit including the Bomb 800, Pol 800/700, AC 650, etc.

I would imagine that most manufacturers will pay at least some attention to state laws/restrictions when they design new quads b/c they don't want to make a product that is not useable in many states.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2006 | 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

It all depends on how picky the states are going to be. For instance...

Brute Force 650i = 606 lb dry weight

Brute Force 750i = 604.2 lb dry weight

Prairie 700 = 604 lb dry weight

King Quad = 602 lb dry weight

Technically each of these machines are a few lbs over weight for the 600lb restriction, but I highly doubt anyone is going to say anything. The Yamaha Grizzly 660 comes in at exactly 600lbs dry, so it would be legal. Again considering the BF 650i is the most overweight and it is only 6 lbs over, I doubt they are getting that technical. Like you said, they are extremely close, so no one is gonna say anything. The North American ATV's are a good bit over that limit though...

Arctic Cat 650 V2 4x4 = 711 lb dry weight

Arctic Cat 700 EFI 4x4 SE = 735 lb dry weight

Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI = 770 lb dry weight

Outlander 800 H.O. EFI 4x4 = 639 lb dry weight

Outlander Max 800 H.O. EFI 4x4 = 689 lb dry weight

All of these are at least 39 lbs over the 600 mark, and all but the Outlander is under the 650 mark. I wonder if these ATV's are still sold in these states. I cant imagine them not being, I would be interested to see how that worked though. Lol, and dont ask me why I spent all that time looking up the dry weights of those machines, I had nothing else to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2006 | 01:13 AM
|
Pro Rider

LOL...yeah, you must've been bored alright! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Actually, that summary only shows 1 state with a 600 lb limit (Connecticut) and 1 state with the 650lb limit (Kansas), the other 19 states with weight limits are 800 lbs and above, so I'm guessing that those quads with approx. 605 lbs are not going to be a big deal after all except for 1 state. In those states that have a weight limit on ATVs, I would assume the penalty for having an "over weight" quad is that they are not allowed to ride on the public ATV trails. I can't see any way they could ban these atvs from being used on private land, but you never know.

Actually, my state (TX) does not have a weight limit...but even if they did it would not be a big deal b/c we have little or no ATV riding areas located on public property! I can confidently say that 95% plus of the legal ATV riding areas in my state are located on privately owned ATV parks...TX is doing a very poor job of creating ATV parks on publicly-owned lands or with public $$. However, they just passed a new decal sticker program to help fund more atv parks with public $$, so hopefully that will change over time.

Old 02-14-2006 | 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Agreed. I cant see how they can stop you on riding on your own private land. The only time it might be an issue is like you said on public land. It is sad to hear that Texas does not have many places to ride publically. Pennsylvania does have some, but not an over abundance by any means. There is a new place being built not too far from where I live. It is called Rock Run Recreational Park. It is going to have excellent trails and accomidations(vending areas etc). It should be up and running within the next year hopefully.

Old 02-14-2006 | 01:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

Cobra,
Glad to hear you have a new atv park being built close to your home. Wish I had something like that near me. How many acres is that new park going to be?

The sad part about TX and its lack of ATV parks on public land is that I have travelled all the way to WV to ride the Hatfield-McCoy trails (had a TON of fun) and I know of others that go out of state for the same adventures...that is tourist $$ that TX could retain in our out state if they would only get off their duffs and open new ATV parks!

Yes indeed...it is truly sad that a state as large as TX has little or nothing to offer in the way of atv riding areas on public land or at least on private land using public funds. In fact, TX passed a law 2 years ago which bans all motorized vehicles (including ATVs) from riding in TX riverbottom areas (which are normally in the floodplain anyway so that the land is worthless for development)...I'm sure that doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that the Gen Land Office in TX estimates our riverbottom areas include 1 million acres! I used to take my family 10 minutes up the road to ride the sandbars up and down a local, shallow river (from the parking area, you could easily ride 15 miles in one direction and 3 miles the other direction). Now all that is offlimits and I have to drive 3 to 4 hours to the nearest ATV park (located on private land).

I recently attended (and testified) at a Tx Parks and Wildlife Dept. hearing where they approved funding of a new 3300 acre ATV park using federal money (Recreational Trails Funds that is collected as a gasoline tax)...That should be a very nice park (unfortunately, its at least a 6 or 7 hours drive away from my house...but its a step in the right direction as far as opening new parks in TX with public funding).

Old 02-14-2006 | 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

As far as I know there are not any state parks you can ride at here in kansas so it realy does not make much differnce what they weigh here. You have to find private areas or rivers which as far as I know do not fall under the states juristiction.

Old 02-14-2006 | 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Rock Run will have over 6,000 acres according to its web site. I was on a poker run that they held last year to raise some money for the trails and accomodations that they will have. First impressions were great. The ride was well set up, and they had something for everyone. They had more challenging secions of the trail that was marked off so you could go throught that if you wanted, obviously we did[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. It was alot of fun though, and I am hoping they hold another one this year.

http://www.rockrunrecreation.com/

Old 02-14-2006 | 07:54 PM
BSD
Trailblazer

whoa!... the Brute Force 750i is like 2 pounds lighter than the 650i? thats werid.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Interesting Summary of ATV laws in the US