Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave Cam Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave Cam Chain?

I've had my 2000 mojave for 5 years now and finally it has a problem. I have a Knock in the top end. Valve clearance is set to spec according to my manuel. Ive noted that the cam chain has some slack in it between the cam gears when there is clearance between the valve and cam. I've seen the other posts of people noteing the slack in thier chains also. Is this a common problem.
Is this gonna wreck the engine if I ride before changing, and how hard is it to change. any tips, tricks or info is greatly appreciated. You all have answerd most of my questions by just reading other poeples posts. THANKS.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

it could be your tensioner....i've gone through two of them....is it real loud or softer?

Old 02-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

It's pretty loud. Sounds almost like a rod knocking but is deinitly coming from the top end. I've run it without the valve cover and the noise is not there {and oil was slung everwhere so I know the top end is getting oil}. There is no damage to the inside of the cover.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

do you have a service manual....that tells you how to reset the tensioner

Old 02-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

also are there any marks on the chain or cover.....my lakota chain only lasted 2 years but i ride the crap outa it, if the chain itself is bad replace it with a did, they last alot longer......

Old 02-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

i couldn't find a DID for a mojave....i suppose Greg has it don't he...lol...never ceases to amaze me

Old 02-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

I have the manuel, reseting the tensioner was my next step. If anyone has changed a cam chain theirselfs, do you have to pull the cylinder. If I have to pull the top end off I might as well give the whole top end an overhaul. If so, I was thinking of sending the jug out to get bored for an oversize piston. Does any on know how far you can go. I havent done a compresoin check yet but it is burning oil. Thanks for the responses!
I didnt see any marks on the chain, valve cover, or top chain guide.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

you don't have to take the cylinder off....you can just take the cam sprockets off and the flywheel

Old 02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

Two tech questions.
1) How can you tell if the cam chain tensioner is bad? It will screw back in and go back out on its own, but when I have it screwed back in all the way the whole set up will move back and forth in the tensioner body about a quarter inch. Is this normal? If this is not normal see question 2.
2) Acording to the clymer manuel to check chain wear you take it off, lay it out flat, pull it tight, and measure 20 links {21 pins}. The wear limit is 5.075 inches. I can measure almost that much with it on the engine and not streching it so I'm figure the chain is way wore out. There is also about 1/2 to3/4 inch slack in between the two cam sprockets. should there be any slack at all. How long does an average cam chain last, if there is even an average time. Could this excessive ware be due to a bad tensioner, or just a lot of hours on the motor. And it does have a lot of really hard riding on it.
I'm gonna replace the chain and tensioner any way, just want to know what to what for in the future. also are there any mods you all recomend while I have the quad tore down this far. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

There should be only 4mm of play in the chain between the sprockets (around 1/16" or 1/8" not sure) as for the tensioner, I have no idea....you'd have to shoot Greg at cycleworksracing.net an email or post something on his forum.

Hope this will help you

Quick Reply: Mojave Cam Chain?