Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

prairie 360 carb modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prairie 360 carb modifications

I went riding today and I believe I have some trash in my carb. After riding a while when I get in the gas it just nose dives like it's starving for fuel. I picked up some trash in my system and I have no problems fixing that but, my question to you is.
I have read somewhere before that If you are in your carb cleaning out the trash you should make a certain modification to a jet or needle valve? I believe you put a washer under one of them and it increases mid range or something. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm trying to recall and how do I make this modification. I know it had nothing to do with changing the jet size it was strickly changing the position of a washer or installing one.

Thanks for the help It won't be down long, I like riding to much!

Mud

Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Does your engine have lean-running problem at midrange around 10~25 mph?
If not, you should not do what you are saying you are trying to do. If yes, remove the top of the carb body (4 small screws holding it), spring, plastic seat and the needle-jet. The needle jet should have stamping saying N2LQ (you may need a magnifying glass if you are as old as I am) at the bottom stem. There are two ways to make richer:
1). Install a shim (washer) where the needle jet seats. The typical size I would try first is about 0.5 mm in thickness.
2). Instead of the shim, you may just install a skinnier/thinner needle jet from Kehin. Ask your dealer what is the next richer needle-jet above N2LQ.
The idea in both methods here is to reduce the protrusion of the tip of the needle-jet inside the carb bore so that more fuel can flow. But, as I said, do this only if your have the mid-range lean condition.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this happen to happen after you took a little break with the engine off or while you were riding?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hayashi,
thanks, I will try the washer idea if it does not improve my mid range I can always remove it. My wifes Kawasaki has great responce at mid range but mine has always been very sluggish. I have ridden a couple of other 360's and they both had more mid range than mine. Yes I will need the magnifying glass also. I'm not growing old gracfully.

Alwaysride,
To answer your question it happened while I was riding. I checked my gas can back at the truck and trailer and realized I had gotton some bad gas that particular fillup. The can had some floating debrie and up untill this time I had never filtered from the can to the bike. (Lesson learned) My wifes bike has it inside her tank also but hers has not acted up yet. I will go ahead and drain and clean hers also I don't want a repeat of my problem while she is riding. (Gotta keep her happy you know!)

Thanks,
Mud

Old 04-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Its been my favorite mod, and most frequent sugestion. A cheap 5 dollar wix see through fuel filter fits just right on mine.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

my 360 has become very sluggish ... difficult to idle ... cutting out when travelling and coming to a stop. this is rather frustrating. any thing i can try before going to the dealer .... I've changed the plug and cleaned the air filter. is ther a gas filter???

Old 04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

No filter unless you have added one, and I wont ever have a quad without one after the problems it gave me.