Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave Kick starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave Kick starter

Hey guys...I guess I have managed to stumble upon another problem... Welp, for you kickstart people, You know how when you kick down on the kickstarter it gives resistance and moves in like sections, well....my kickstart has NO resistance and when you push on it, it just slips right down real quick. I could probably push it down with my pointer finger....Any ideas on why this is happening. Also, if it matters, I just did the timing on it, and hooked up the cylinder head, if that matters. And when I push down on the kickstarter it does come back up...PLEASE HELP ME!

Old 04-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

did you time it? is the decomp lever working correctly...i had the same problem happen on a 1990 honda trx300 and what happned was the decomp lever was messed up and stuck in the on position.........did it start doing this right when you put it back together or a little while after you put it together?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea, I just timed it today. The kickstart worked just fine before I put the new head on and got it timed, but as soon as I got everything bolted up and mounted on the quad, it didn't work anymore....

Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

are you sure its timed correctly? i would check that then check the decomp lever next........

Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm pretty sure it was timed correctly, if it wasn't would that cause the kickstart to act up?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

what you need to do is determine where the problem is.....take the spark plug out of the hole and see if the piston goes up and down when you kick it over....if it does then you have no compression and there is a problem with the head....if it dosnt there is a problem at the kick starter and the kick start gears/rachet/shaft or a combination of all three might need to be replaced but you really need to pop off hte clutch cover to find out......

Old 04-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would I be able to take off that cover without having to remove the motor from the frame?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MudSlinginMojave
Would I be able to take off that cover without having to remove the motor from the frame?
yup just drain your oil first and replace the gasket before you reassemble it............

Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok...Well I went out and checked the piston, I took the spark plug out, and moved the kick starter, the piston didn't move an inch...

Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MudSlinginMojave
Ok...Well I went out and checked the piston, I took the spark plug out, and moved the kick starter, the piston didn't move an inch...
time to pop off that cover then and check out the condition of the kick start gears..........

Quick Reply: Mojave Kick starter