Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

#@#$%~!~ Front Diff Bolt Stripped (But I got a plan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #@#$%~!~ Front Diff Bolt Stripped (But I got a plan)

Hi guys,

I stripped the front diff allen bolt awhile back and cannot put off changing the front diff fluid any longer. I cannot manipulate the vise grips around the bolt to turn it and have given up. I do not want to bring it to the dealer and have them charge me an arm and a leg for getting one bolt off and I do not want to damage the bolt any further.

My question is this: Could I just take a suction bulb hooked up to some tubing and just syphon the fluid out of the fill hole? I think a guy could get at least a majority of it out and then add fresh fluid until it is all fresh.

Kind of a kooky question, but I thought I would ask you guys!

This is a great forum and I always appreciate the help!

Bubba

Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt that you would get even most of it out there is not much room inside the diff. Did you take the skid plate off to try to get at the drain bolt with vise grips ? You could also try to tap a torx bit in there and try to extract it that way. Your dealer should not charge you anything to get it out ,I know that the dealer near me does it for free cause kawi torqued them too hard at the factory , Your dealer should do it for nothing.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well I really don't know what kawasaki was thinking when they put that in their!! but let me tell you what I did To get a perment fix to the issue. I know you said that you don't want to damage the bolt any more but that is your best option. I Had the same prob and i Decided to just chisle a groove in the side of the bolt enough to get a flat headed screw driver in it and than hit it a couple of time to brake loose. After that i took it to local parts house and got a regular bolt the same size that way you don't have to worry about it any more.
ONE THING to Remeber is that you can tighten a bolt alot tighter than that hex head so do not over tighten the bolt .. it could stripe inside the diff if you tighten to much "Just use Common Sense on how tight"