Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Where are the maual shift big bore utility quads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the maual shift big bore utility quads?

Hi,

Please have patience with me as I will be posting this in other forums...

With the major manufacture’s about to release new model line ups for 07, what are the chances that we might see a “big bore” with a 5-speed dual range tranny?

I currently have a belt drive kawi and have driven the other brands and would desperately like to see a “big bore” manual shift. Currently looking for a “big bore,” but only if it is a manual shift. I hate the feel of a belt drive quad, especially when navigating down steep hills backing a loaded tailor.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

That would be nice if that choice were available. I think the 500cc models still have manual shifting available. I wonder if the big bores would just be too hard on a manual. I am just guessing here.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

You might have a point there...however, I believe that Yamaha has a 700 cc raptor that is manual shift. The BF is a manual shift would make the ultimate sport ute in ATV’s...just add efi. It would also become the best workhorse around has well.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
The Facility

The issue is what the manual transmission and a heap of power will do to the drivetrain.

It s the ONE issue that plaques alot of othersie great quads in the 400 to 500 classes. Stock, they do ok. You start adding big tires and putting hard sudden loads on it, the driveshafts break like a knife through butter and cv axles explode shrapnel everywhere within 50 yards.

Oh, by the way,... bur252. I posted to your question over in Honda, but I thought I would remention it here since someone brought up the issue of them holding up.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

You are probability correct about the drive train...but I don’t think there has been much issue with the AC, Vinson or Foreman 500's and their manual trannies. Maybe I will have to settle with one of these.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I know a few folks that have the Vinson and they just rave about that thing. Peppy and handles well from what they were saying. I don't think the price is too bad either on them. I looked at the Vinson before I bought mine, but I didn't like the 4x4 system on it. If it had a diff lock I would have probably checked it out much closer.

My entire family, besides me all have Arctic Cat and they love them. They have the very durable Suzuki motor in most of them and gobs of ground clearance. They always seemed a little pricey to me for some reason though.

Polaris is a majority of what I see living here in Northern Wisconsin. Some people are lifelong Polaris and some people hat em'. I think the SP500 without the EFI wouldn't be a half bad machine actually. That one has been around quite awhile. They have a nice ride and good GC like the AC.

I have heard nothing but bad from the people I know with Polaris 700 though. Two guys told me that it feels as if their 500 feels more powerful, and they cannot stand the lag in the motor upon takeoff.

Just my .02 here, but its free advice anyway! LOL

Old 06-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks . . . I too have heard a lot of good reports about the AC and Vinson. Are there any plans to have these bikes available with efi soon?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A drivetrain can be engineered to take the stress. Plenty of high horsepower 4wd and awd cars and trucks in various forms of racing. You can't tell me something with less than 70HP and 1000lbs is to tough on a manual drivetrain. The real reason is that the manual models don't sell as well as the full autos, plain and simple. If Zuk was selling more manual Vinsons, or if they receive enough public outcry, you would see a KQ with a manual tranny. Same for the other builders too.