Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki winch installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki winch installation

HELP!!!!!!
I have a Kawasaki 700 prairie and I got the warn winch. How in gods name do u install this thing. Does anyone have pictures or step by step instructions? The stuff I got with it, and the mount they gave me looks like it would never work!!! HELP please. Email me any information you have lee9206@bellsouth.com!!! I am totally lost. Thanks

Old 06-25-2006, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Did you get the specific mounting plate for the model? Sounds like an obvious question, but what the heck. Can anyone else help this guy?

Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I got the one from warn via my dealership. However, the M.F. bleep bleep bleep bleep, still doesnt seem to work, and the directions are so darn vague they explain nothing! I am so, P.O...........The dealership wants almost $300 to instal this thing, I have the money, but have way to much pried to let them do it, go figure! Anyway, help! Detailed instructions or pictures would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Come on guys, can anyone help a brother out? If I knew, I would steer you in the right direction.

By chance, have you run an exhaustive Google search and a search of past posts on this forum? 300 bucks for installation, never heard of that much before. That would be 5 hours of shop labor at my Kawi dealership. Sheesh!

Old 06-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

Well,

I installed one on my old Bayou a while back. It really wasn't too bad. In fact, it took me about 3 hours and I'd never done it before, so I think your shop would be ripping you off to charge more than about $50 - for the time it would take a experienced expert to do it.

Anyhow, the first thing I did was put on the mount plate in the front - simply bolts on. Then, take all the parts out of the box and lay them out on the floor of your garage where you can see everything - this makes things more simple. Take a few minutes and read through your instructions, identifying all the parts and what they do. The hardest part is the wiring; figuring out which wire goes to what. Just try to think of it logically as far as what connects to the battery, what connects to the solenoid, and what connects to the winch. Then, you will start fishing the wires through the chassis, making sure to hide them well. I usually try to follow the wires of the stock wire harness when I do it. At this point, if you have done it right, its just a matter of tying all the wires to whatever they go to. Pur the winch on now, fastening the power wires to it. I know this isn't real specific, but hopefully it will get you off to a good start.

PS Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is the brown ignition wire that the winch system ties into (this one would have saved me alot of trouble back when it was my turn).

Old 06-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Probably someone who can help you better than I will jump into this discussion sooner or later. I recently bought an '03 P360 and an '02 P650 from a guy in Denver. Then I ordered a Warn winch and model-specific mount for the P650. After I received that, I saw a Venom on eBay with mounting plate for the P360 for only $89. Figured what the heck, and ordered. I ended up installing that one first, and the Warn is still waiting. I work weekends, but I hope to get the Warn installed this coming week.

Being a mediocre wrench, it took me most of a day to install the Venom on the P360. I took lots of time routing the wires just so, finding an ignition-controlled positive wire to tap into, and deciding to put the elec contactor in the tool box - to keep it fairly clean and dry - then actually drilling holes in the box and getting it done. Really, though, the whole thing was fairly intuitive. Believe me, I'm not an experienced mechanic! I'm hopeful the Warn goes as smoothly... considering price, it oughta go MORE smoothly.

With the venom on the P360, the instructions had me mount the winch on the plate BEFORE mounting the plate to the ATV. That worked fine. I don't remember what the Warn instructions were.

One other note: I'm thinking both the P360 and P650 have been prewired for winch installation. However, I have no shop manual for either ATV (yet), so I ran the new wires just to be on the safe side.

I don't know how similar the P650 is to your P700. If it is helpful, though, I might be able to scan and email you the directions I received with my Warn winch for the P650 installation. If you bought your winch through your dealer, perhaps they pulled the instruction sheet in an effort to persuade you to have them do the work. That seems extreme, but who knows? At any rate, I can post a summary of my installation after it is completed... assuming I don't get stymied and give up. ;+)

Old 06-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, I have the 700 mount for the 05 prairie and their is no way it can be right!!!

Old 06-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Man, I feel for you. Nothing like buying an accessory and you are so eager to get it hooked up and cannot. I went through the same thing with a universal windshield I bought for my Brute. I spent 3 hours trying to bend brackets, move handlebars, etc. but it would not fit. Turned out, the windshield will not fit a Brute, so I had to eat the 100 bucks.

Someone here will be able to help you out.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yepper, I am so f**** bleep bleep p*&^*^ off about the directions that were included I am ready to........ Well you know... Anyway, I will wait and see. You know I have searched the web up and down....NOTHING.... People we are in the 2K..... You would think someone would have something like mine on the internet....
ME

Old 06-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

i know this is different but, other things on this might be helpful. i tried for ya but all i could find was pics of the multi-mount setup.

www.atvpvt.com

Quick Reply: Kawasaki winch installation