Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Oil Leak question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak question

Thanks Jack

I'll let you know how it goes.

Greg

Old 07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

OK, tell us how it turns out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Let me clarify what I posted last night, the part #'s I gave you are all Correct, except the clamps, the numbers are different from the OEM #"s

Also, the seal part # you had was for the front output shaft seal. You need the rear.

Jack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

Jack

I finally recieved the repair manual for the Bayou today. It appears I am trying to remove (in thier terms) the rear propeller. Does that appear correct? According to the manual I need to remove the final drive unit. These terms are just different to me. I am thinking of the rear propeller as the rear drive shaft and the final drive as the rear diff. Am I on the right track? Do I really need to remove the final drive to get the propeller out? Then I believe I should be able to get to the seal which I am assuming will remain in the housing once the propeller is removed.

Hope your enjoying your new ride!

Any help would be appreciated.
Greg

Old 08-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hello:

You are correct, the rear "propeller" is the drive shaft, and yes the only way to remove it is to take off the rear end, but,
just remove the upper shock bolts, brake cables, vent hoses, and take out the two bolts that hold on the swingarms (up by the main frame).
This is simpler than taking apart the rear gear case. The drive shaft will then just slide out.

Hope this helps, and yes, I am VERRY MUCH enjoying my new ride!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Jack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Great!!

I knew it could not be as complex as they made it appear

Thanks
Greg

Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Greg...

How is it going with the seal replacement??? Did you get it fixed?

Jack.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Jack

Actually the parts came in Friday and I got it done yesturday. It was just as easy as you said. Thanks a lot for the help.

Greg

Old 08-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: givey
Jack

Actually the parts came in Friday and I got it done yesturday. It was just as easy as you said. Thanks a lot for the help.

Greg
WRONG

I let the Bayou set intil today and was going to take it to the mountains. I looked at the oil site glass and EMPTY. I loosened the boot and out comes my oil . I ran it all of 5 minutes as I parked it so all of this oil seaped out on its own. Any oil above the output shaft level just come right out. What could cause this? I replace the seal and O-Ring. I believe the seal goes in with the grove pointing toward the front. At least that is how I installed it. I saw no other way for it to be seated.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Greg

Old 08-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you got me there. I had to replace that same seal on my bayou after I got it, and I never had it leak again.
Try taking it back apart and clean evrithing off, make sure there is NO oil or dirt on any of the parts, then re-assemble it again
and take your time and tripple-check evrithing. Also, MAKE SURE that you properly torqe all the bolts! if the bolts are not torqued
right it can cause a leak. After that, LEAVE THE BOOT OFF and pour in oil and look for leaks. You may have to turn the driveshaft
when you first put in some oil to properly seat the seal. Sorry you have had problems with this, I hope this will help you.

Jack

Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Jack

How about a little grease in that seal......Duh!!!. I knew there had to be something I forgot. I took it apart and put some grease in the seal. It appears to be ok. If I remember you said that there would be some oil accumalation in the boot because of a seep hole or something. Is that correct? How much oil and how does it get out of the boot? It must add up after while?

As embarrased as I am I am glad that was all there was to it.

Thank
Greg

Quick Reply: Oil Leak question