Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Oil Leak question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak question

I just bought a 1992 Bayou 300 4X4. It is in great mechanical shape except for an oil leak coming from the rear drive shaft around the boot. I figure there is a seal inside there but I was wondering what you think and also is it difficult to replace.

Any help is appreciated

Greg

Old 07-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hello:

Well, I have good news and bad news. First, the bad news. There is a seal inside there, the engine main seal(you know, where the drive shaft comes out of the engine). Now the rest is good news.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The seal can be replaced by just removing the driveshaft, pulling out the old seal, and pressing in the new one.
...AND NOW.... the better news[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] The boot you see is just an outer "dust" boot that protects the CV joint boot, Yes there is another boot inside that boot. Here is the good part, the crankcase vent is also located INSIDE the outer boot!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You may not have a leak at all. It is possible that the oil is just build-up that has been "spit" out of the crankcase over the years. Here is instructions to help ya figure it out:

-get a pan to catch the oil that WILL come out and put under the boot.
-losen the rear clamp that holds the boot and push the boot FOWARD (towards the engine)
-WATCH OUT! about 5 or 6 oz of oil WILL pour out into the pan
-when all the oil is done draining, losen the front clamp, and pull the boot BACK away from the engine
-DO NOT MESS WITH THE INNER BOOT AT ALL!!!
-leave the outer boot off and start the quad and look for leaks.
-Let the engine idle for about 10 mins. If you see no drips, you are okay.
-WIPE down the boot and the driveshaft and engine area where the boot seals
-Make sure that the seal area is dry and apply a SMALL ammount of Black RTV silicone sealant all the way arround the boot lips
-re-install the boot and tighten both clamps TIGHT
-wait 24 hours before you ride so the sealant has time to set up.

Hope this helps you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Jack

Old 07-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

Jack

Thanks a lot for the information. Good idea to check the vent first.

Thanks again
Greg

Old 07-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: givey
Jack

Thanks a lot for the information. Good idea to check the vent first.

Thanks again
Greg
Your welcome.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And Welcome to the fourms![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
There aren't a whole lot of us Bayou 300 4x4 owners arround here, so I try to help as much as I can. There is one little extra step to changing the seal that I forgot to mention. After removing the driveshaft, the small plate that the outer boot attaches to on the engine side is held on with 4 small bolts inside it. It has to be pulled off to get to the seal. Also, the seal costs $6.50 from Kawasaki. I STRONGLY advise that you get a service manual for your quad. It will help you out ALOT.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Jack

Service manual is on the way. I am sure it is the seal. The outer boot appears to be pulled open on the engine side and I know that more oil has dripped out than the boot would hold. Also, I am looking at purchacing my parts online. The local Kawasaki dealer wants $15.00 for a bulb I can get for $11.00 and $25.00 for the air filter which I can get for $8.68 shipping total is $6.00. I cannot belive this small town dealer making a killing if people are buying at those prices.

Thanks again and I am certain I will have other questions in the future

Greg

Old 07-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

Jack

I want to go ahead and order the seal. As far as I can tell from http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com the part number is 92049B: SEAL-OIL,TC406510. I am also going to get a new boot as well (49006: BOOT,DRIVE SHAFT). Is there anything else I will need? I am hoping the repair manual will be here around the time the parts are.

Thanks
Greg

Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: givey
Jack

I want to go ahead and order the seal. As far as I can tell from http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com the part number is 92049B: SEAL-OIL,TC406510. I am also going to get a new boot as well (49006: BOOT,DRIVE SHAFT). Is there anything else I will need? I am hoping the repair manual will be here around the time the parts are.

Thanks
Greg
Hello:

Here is a list for you. Thease are Kawasaki OEM part #'s, any dealer can get thease parts by thease numbers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Here is your shopping list:
-654 OIL SEAL $6.48
-92055 "0" RING,I.D=57.6MM $3.67
-49006 BOOT,DRIVE SHAFT $13.10
-92170 CLAMP $6.54
-92170A CLAMP $5.92

That should GIT-R-DONE![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The o ring goes behind the cap that you will have to remove to change the oilseal, and the clamps are the ones that holds the boot on. Those are optional, I would change them though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hope this helps

Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey givey,

get us some pictures posted of your bayou![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I feel so alone here...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Have you checked out my bayou yet??? just click the camera icon in the left collum under my name.

Jack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Jack

Yea, I saw you Bayou..Looks great. I like the Red. The one I finaly found was black. Not my favorite but it works. I am trying to get some pics posted but I guess they go through an approval. My page is still pending. It is Greg's Bayou page when it gets posted.

My numbers from http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com differ from your. Do you think it is due to the fact that mine is a 92 and you have a 93?

-654 OIL SEAL $6.48.....I show 92049B
-92055 "0" RING,I.D=57.6MM $3.67......goes to the filler cap
-49006 BOOT,DRIVE SHAFT $13.10....same as what I show
-92170 CLAMP $6.54....I show 92037A
-92170A CLAMP $5.92...I show 92037B

Check out this site if you get time and see what you think. I thought it was a good site but now I am not sure.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com

Thanks
Greg

Old 07-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am checking it out as I type this:

Here is where you will find the oil seal and O ring:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...F300C4+%29.asp

Copy and paste this into your browser.

and here is the boot and the clamps:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...F300C4+%29.asp

all part #'s match up except the clamps, they are different, but you have them right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Oil Leak question