Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what was kawie thinkin putting a CVT on the kfx700???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what was kawie thinkin putting a CVT on the kfx700???????

[i]Originally posted by: [b]stuntman700[/b thats the problem with CVT u cant have alot of top end like the leading quadz!!!does anybody think they will make the kfx700 a fuel injection anytime soon????????
They are supposed to do low 70's and you can add a Dalton cover for 3-4 more MPH. How much 75MPH riding do people really do?

Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Ive got to agree with prairie... seriously how often do you go over 75? The KFX is plenty fast for most, and if you have deep pockets you can make it scary fast.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolute top end is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ability to pull as hard from say 35-70 as it does 0-35. Performance like that is simply not attainable with the current drivetrain setup. Now before everyone jumps on their soapbox I agree that the V is an excellent bike. I also know that it could be made better like a serious diet 560 or so pounds is WAY to heavy for something considered a sport quad. The bomb DS could lose some weight too. The V has it's own little nitch in the market but it will never take any real market share from Bombs DS or Yamahas Raptor in it's current form. For those of you who are already swelled up and just can't type fast enough to defend you V just stop and calm down. I've got a prairie with pretty much the exact same drivetrain plus 4 wheel drive. It's modded and I know the power the V twins can make. I'm just saying it would be great to not loose so much of that power through the cvt. There are some clutch guys out there who do great work but it's still not the same as having a manual tranny. I do agree that for Kawie to make a 400lb manual V it would be an entirely different animal from the current V. It would be like going from a Ford Mustang, which is great for what it is, to something like a Ford GT 500, which is a beast in anyones book.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think several have hit on the main point of it having it. It gives it a place in the market that noone else has to match. If you want a auto and a sport above a 250cc you dont have much to choose from. I know someone that owns one and have talked to several guys that ride them and the auto was the main reason they wanted it.

I also agree if Kawasaki would use what they have as a base to come out with a lighter weight, manual it would also sell very well. It weighs in at 516 but if it had some cheap tires like most stock quads come with it would probally come in under 500. A few minor changes from there wouldnt be hard to get the weight down to a decent level.

I see a few more auto sports coming in the future.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

well, kawie was thinking DERR maybe people want a fast sport bike with automatic trans. wow hard concept!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Could Kawie even make a lightweight (450 lb) quad with the V twin in it? I don't think they could. The motor alone is heavier than a single cylinder motor in and of itself. Plus, you have to have a frame that can handle the additional weight not to mention agressive riding and jumping without going to peices.

They went with the auto trany because it was already in existance with the v-twin motor from their utility line and required virtually zero development to bring it to the market in the V. That was a smart move on their behalf and helped keep the cost down.

Then there is the issue of quad manufacturers keeping the top speed of their quads in the 75mph range. Could they make quads that will do 80+? Sure, but they don't. That is what the aftermarket is for.

Look, with the exception af a few quads out there, (The KFX700, Outlaw, and the new Renegade) the quad manufacturers have generally kept the industry pretty much within the box. Instead of asking why Kawasaki built the V the way they did, we should be asking all of the other manufacturers when they are going to start thinking outside the box and move the industry forward. Of the big 4, Kawie is the only one that has taken the risk and tried something new as far as their "Sport" line goes.

The KFX700 isn't for everyone, but there is a market for it. The people that own and love them are a devoted group. Mine is highly modified (Not as much as others) and has surprised many unsuspecting doubters. Talk about FUN, watch the expression on some guys face when he realizes that he just got beat by a 550lb Auto quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is definately a market for the quad, and Kawie was able to put another model in their lineup without having to design a whole new engine/tranny combo. Using the same basic motor in several different models has long been the norm in the auto world, and now we are seeing it start up in the quad world as well. I guess like most other things, follow the money to find your answers.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer

There is noway the V could have been any lighter i think. The motor is so big, if they wanted it lighter they wouldnt have put a v twine in it. I dont have many good things to say about mine, i loved it in the begining and it all went downhill from there. Not to mention the after market parts for them are double the price of the 400. Also i really dont think the market is there for it, well here in canada anyways, considering they stop making them here.
I just find everything about a manual tran, and the 400's motor is simpiler.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They stopped selling them in Canada? I see the big Kawies from time to time out riding. I think they are aimed more at people looking for a powerful, sportier quad that is extremely simple to operate and low maintenance. Adult beginners and ute owners looking for a 2nd quad perhaps?

Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Yeh nomore canadian Vforce. I can tell u one thing that bike was not low maintenace for me. I would tell anyone getting in to the sport to take the time to learn about a manual bike when it comes down to it i think its much easyer

Quick Reply: what was kawie thinkin putting a CVT on the kfx700???????