Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2002 prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 prairie 650

i would appreciate what seems to be some extensive questions on why my prairie is gving me so many problems be answered by any body that might have been thru problems with that atvs engine .cams rounding out ,carbuerator problems and possibly a limp mode through a bad cdi or engine brake failure machine has 54hrs and i am the original owner.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2002 prairie 650

well first you have the '02, a few years old. man, when those first came out i wanted one worse than anything. that's what made me look at the 650i when i bought mine.

the cams rounding off is not a usual problem. i dunno about that. the limp mode can possibly be traced to the rear buss plug. that is a common issue, and the fix is in the stickies on pretty much every kawasaki forum everywhere.

and, what carb problems? many Kawis need re-jetted right from the start.

when you look at 54 hours, it seems like a lot of problems , but when you look at four years, it does not seem bad to me. the big kawis are definately not maintenance free, and all that power comes at a price.

monty

Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2002 prairie 650

Rounded cam
That's obviously due to lack of lubrication at the top end. Check your oil pressure which should be around 70 psi at 4500 rpm. Check/clean the oil pick up screen. Are you riding at slow speed (<10 mph) for a long distance? That's not good for your top end. Use synth oil.

Limp Mode
This should happen only if belt light is flashing. Check belt switch. How's the belt deflection and the integrity of the belt?

Rear Buss Connector
You are lucky. Your '02 650 does NOT have this and you don't have to worry about it. Only later year IRS models have this connector.

Carb Problems
If the unit ran OK when new, you don't need to rejet. Read your plugs and see if it is running too lean or rich. Go from there. Most common problem is the sticking choke plungers at the carb side causing too rich condition.

CDI
Either it works or doesn't.

EBC
Is 2/4WD light flashing? Search the forum for more detail on this - there is a whole bunch. Find out which mode it is flashing and do appropriate remedy.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 prairie 650

This atv gave a carb problem that eventually turned into other problems .i think the carbs dumpinging too much fuel into the motor eventually led into thin oil and wearing down the cams. The cams were replaced with the pistons from four stroke tec and everything he sent me was definitely good quality stuff . we got it all back together .compression is good oil pressure is good .valves are adjusted but the same carb problem still exists and we can only get the thing to run on the choke. if anyone could help or would want to hear more details it would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Range Rover
Default 2002 prairie 650

first you carps are going to need rebuilding........you figure out how much bad gas is in there after 4 years of rideing 54 hours in 4 years,,,,,,,,,,how maney miles is that

Old 09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2002 prairie 650

Fuel in engine oil...
The '02 650 does not have a vacuum operated fuel petcock. It has a manual one that you have to shut off. If the fuel tank is full and ambient temperature is warm/hot, the expanding fuel pressure will push fuel into carbs, cylinder then into crankcase before the fuel tank vent one-way check valve opens up. It is BEST you shut off the fuel petcock at the end of the day riding.

Having to have choke on all the time...
You need to have the pilot jet/circuit cleaning job done on your carb sets. Easy way is to run a full tank of gas with good carb cleaner mixed in and see if that would dissolve fuel varnish. If that's not the case, then carb disassembly and cleaning is required.