Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How to test a fan switch for kawi BF 750

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test a fan switch for kawi BF 750

I took my 2006 brute force 750 into the dealer for overheating-no cooling fan was coming on. The dealer said it was the fan switch. I am wondering how to verify this. Any help would be appreciated. By the way they wanted $338 to replace the $50 switch.-What a bargain.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Did you have a warranty? $338 I would have told them to fly a kite. I wondered about my fan this summer. I rode a few times, not hard, just cruised the back roads with my kids. The fan never came on. It was 100 degrees outside and figured it kick on but it never did. THen one day I was riding and it finally kicked on. I guess it just didnt get hot enough.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

The threshold temp for the fan switch is around 190~195 F. It should go ON/OFF around that range depending which direction the temp is moving. You will need a good old glass tube type Mercury thermometer, DVM, and boiling pot of water to test the switch.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

i installed a temp gauge, and found my fan wasn't turning on until 240*. i verified this with an infrared non contact thermometer. i have read other similar posts.

so i wired a switch across the terminals of the fan switch. this way i can turn the fan on and leave it on.

monty

Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

These switches can and do go bad. I replaced one on the wife's Grizz just a year after we bought it. It is simple to do yourself. Most of the time you can't test these outside of a pressurized system easily because they switch (close) at around 210-220 degrees F. Water can never reach that temp unless it's in a pressurized system so you will need to use cooking oil.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

If the temp light does not come on there is nothing to worry about any other problems write me back I will help you for sure

Old 11-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

Where is the fan switch located on the Brute Force. We had one overheating because the fan wouldn't come on. Is the switch on the left side of the radiator, the fan switch or the over temp switch?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

I was out riding and my temp light came on and no fan.I stopped and wiggled the wires.The fan came on.It could also be a bad connection.I have to got through my fan wiring to find the faulty connector.Ill put clean it and put some electrical greese in first to see if that helps,as I go through alot of mud and water.Anyway something else for you to look at.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check on the left of the bike remove one philips screw on the side it is the plastic cover protector for the radiator flip it over so you can have access the the fan switch remove the rubber protector you will see two wires one blue and white and one just blue.unplug the two wires and touch them together the fan should start if the fan does not start you may have a problem with the fan motor but before you should check your fan breaker under the seat .you can also check the resistance of your switch- use a ohm meter take two probe of the ohm meter and touch them on the two legs of the switch when engine is cold reading should be more then 1m ohms and when engine is at 212f the reading should be less then 0.5 ohms good luck let me know if it works and I can help you some more after that
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

as it is possible for the fan switch to go bad, it is rare. when my fan stopped working i replaced my fan switch, it did not solve my problem. it turned out to be the rear buss connector. it was all corroded and the ignition wires fell out of the connector. this can be the source of many electrical problems. its located in the main harness, taped up, under the rear fenders, next to the gas tank filler. its about the size of a matchbox. if all options are exhausted then the buss connector is the problem. if more info is needed i'll post what needs to be done. 05 & 06 750I's have this problem. seems the 07's are ok as well as all 650I's and 650/700 BF/prairie's

Quick Reply: How to test a fan switch for kawi BF 750