Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Whats the best atv for a 5-7 year old? KFX 50?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best atv for a 5-7 year old? KFX 50?

Hey guys. I'm posting for a friend who has a 5 and a 7 year old. He's looking to get them into atv'ing and wants to get something to start them off with that's 1.Not too much for them to handle safely, 2. Reliability, and 3. Not going to break the bank. I saw that kaw makes a kfx 50 and 90...and other brands make them this small too. What's the consensus on the best options?

There are some off brands in this size too, kymko and a few others...any word on the off brands? I forget the name of the brand he showed me, but there was a 50cc model for $515 or somethin like that..

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I dont have much experience with little guys atv's, but I would reccommend getting the biggest one (like a 90cc i think). That way they can ride it longer, and if it is too fast or a little too much bike for them now you can tune it down with the throttle limiter screw. I think Yamaha makes a 90, polaris makes a 90, and kawie makes a 90. That is what I would do if it were me in that situation.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

He is rite get the bigger one so they can grow in to it my rideing buddy has his kids all rideing yamahas and had no problems and they are very reliable and well built!! Well i wish your friend good luck!!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I should have posted that originally..before I even posted I made that same suggestion to him, noting the throttle screw and allowing for some room for them to grow into it. Aside from getting the biggest size that they can handle (probably a 90), does anyone have any experience with these little machines?

The no name brand that he had shown me before was meercat...anyone seen/tried one of those? I'm guessing they're slightly less featured than the big name brands, but if they are reliable they might just be a great buy for a kid that age, because they are certainly priced right.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ive never seen one or had anything to do with one. About the only think I know in the world of ATV's is you get what you pay for. I would not buy a cheap one just in fear of it being a lemon, but like I said, I have never seen one of those you mentioned so it could work out. If it was me, I would get the Yamaha.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

I picked up a trx90 for my boy. He started riding it when he was five in second gear. I chose not to put the cork or turn down the limiter on his bike. He's seven now and knows how to shift, albeit a bit slow... but he knows what gears to use for different terrain. He and his bike goes thru mud, water, sand, dirt... you name it. Not one single problem except for its cold blooded starts.

fyi: Out here in CA kids need riders safety course, some areas (rangers) ask to see the completion card. At first I was perturbed when we drove out to a sight and they wouldn't let him ride. In retrospect, after taking the 4 hour course... I have a piece of mind and greater confidence in his abilities. I think it had to do with a great instructor. And yes, he knew all the objectives taught before he took the course.

I think this is the law, but not always enforced

less than 70cc ...... age 6 and older
70cc up to and including 90cc ...... age 12 and older
greater than 90cc ...... age 16 and over

Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

polaris,kasea,alphasport and dinli or drr make a nice 90cc dont cost to much$$ easy to work on and can get parts anywhere all of these are fully automatic makes it easy for little ones to start on

Old 10-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I suggest getting a 90 as well.

Tell you friend to buy a used LT80 or TRX90. Those are very good machines that will last a long time and that his kids can grow into.

Stay away from the off brands. They are junk.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Trailblazer

I have experience with some of the 50's and 90's having 3 kids of my own that all ride.

Kazuma 50... they beat the crap out of this thing for 3 years and it's still running fine
it' cheap, it's small, at 80 lbs it close to 120 lbs lighter than the major brands, no front suspension, it's also a 3 speed sequential and that makes it scary fast for a little kid (about 25 mph) depending on the weight of the kid.

Raptor 50 is the same size machine as the 80 (they don't make a 90) this is the biggest of that size class we've had. It's also the most expensive and the most stable... Shaft driven slows this machine down quite a bit, but again it's been ridden hard for a few years with no problems. Also the Grizz 80 is the same machine as the Raptor 80 with different plastics. These machines weigh in excess of 260 lbs

Kawi's 50 and 90 are very similar to Suzuki's 50 and 90 in size, weight, drive train, price and both have independant front suspension, something you won't find on the Yamaha

My son recently got a Tomberlin Kolt 90, which I have been told is now Alpha Sport... This bike has REVERSE... I no longer have to pull him out when he makes an error in judgement. This bike also comes with 2 goveners, the screw at the thumb throttle and also a chip that keeps the bike under 15 mph... once that chip is removed the bike will top out at 30. This bike is around 2K brand new and is the one I'd recommend

Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 AM
Trailblazer

I have a alpha sport dealer that fully sponsers a 90 ride to my son i really like them it is completly race ready they are really good quads

Quick Reply: Whats the best atv for a 5-7 year old? KFX 50?