Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I sank my Bayou 220. NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I sank my Bayou 220. NEED HELP!!!

I am a new member, so I need some help. PLEASE!!!!

I was running my atv and got some muddy water in thru the exhaust pipe and the engine died. I tipped it up to drain the water, but it still wont start. I pulled it home and drained the oil, which looked like chocolate milk, and replaced it with two quarts of 10w-30 oil. I then drained the gas and changed the spark plug. I turned the engine over with the plug removed to get any excess water out, but It still WONT FIRE. I then drained the carb using the screw on the bottom.

What esle can I do? I need ANY HELP that can be given. Should I take the carb completely apart or am I just totally screwed? Thanks

Alex-----

Old 10-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

You need to following checks and narrow down the trouble area.

Cylinder compression - it should be some where beween 150 - 220 psi depending on the condition/age of the quad.

Ignition - pull out the plug and crank the egnine. You should see blue spark jumping between the plug electrode and the frame/ground.

Fuel supply - Drain the carb/tank completly (use it in your mower), fill it up with fresh gas. Drain the carb bowl again so that the carb is charged with fresh gas.

Engine has to start with above 3 are in a working condition.

Hope you didn't damage the bottom end of your motor.
Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

It has a spark. Do I need to go to a dealer to check the compression? It turns over and putts a little so I dont know if its thats good or not?

Thanks for the quick reply

Alex

Old 10-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, you may borrow the compression gauge from dealer if they let you. PepBoys, AutoZone, NAPA, etc. they all sell one for $30~$50 for a cheap one. Just make sure it has the right size thread. How fast does the engine turn over when you crank? If it is as same as before the submarining, then it is a good sign. If it puffs when you crank, it is also a good sign because the motor wants to fire up. Hook up a booster charger to your quad's battery (neg. to the ground) to provide stronger sprak and to prevent the battery becoming weak. Do not crank more than 10 seconds at a time - it will burn up the armature inside the starter. Crank 10 sec, rest 10 sec, crank 10 sec, and so on. Don't forget to use a new plug, DR8ES.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

The engine cranks over at the same speed as before submersion and still puffs out the muffler. I put fresh gas in but it still wont start. I drained the carb bowl again and still no fire. Do I need to spray some carb cleaner in it. I took the air filter box out so I can access the carb easier. Can I spray the cleaner in that way or do I need to take the carb completly apart. Also where is the oil filter located, I cant seem to find it.
Thanks

Old 10-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, you can spray directly into the intake opening.
Your 220 holds about 2 quarts- watch the sight glass for exact level.
The oil filter is located on the right side just front of the engine oil sight glass. The filter is a paper element type, not a spin on. You will need to remove the metal cover which is held by two 8 mm head bolt.
If you don't have mechanical (nothing bent or seized) or electrical issue, I would assume this must be a fuel issue.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nothing I have tried worked, so I guess I am going to take off the cab and clean it. If you can think of anything else to help, I am all ears.

Thanks

Alex

Old 10-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

shoot carb cleaner in the spark hole, and hit the starter, if it attempts to fire, your not getting fuel

Old 10-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did that but it did not try to fire. i dont know whats wrong, so I guess it going to the dealer for a little inspection.

Anymore ideas will be greatly appreciated and tried. Thanks

Alex

Old 10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is an update:

I just took it to the dealer and got a compression test, which equalled 75. They told me it will probably be $500 and some change. Does that sound right? If anybody knows of a good mechanic around the College Station, Texas area let me now.

Alex

Quick Reply: I sank my Bayou 220. NEED HELP!!!