Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 700 diff and engine oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 700 diff and engine oil questions

I just bought a 2004 Twin Peaks 700 which has extended warrantee until Feb. 2008 which is the Prairie 700 and want to change the front and rear diff oil along with the engine oil. I do not have the owner's manual so I called 3 local dealers and they told me three different things. PLEASE HELP! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I have also searched and searched and only found threads dating back couple years with contradicting results, one says engine oil in diff and the other says gear oil in diff. One says synthetic, one says conventional.

Can you please tell me:
Front diff oil required and how much is needed
Rear diff oil required and how much is needed
Engine oil required and how much is needed

Thank you in advanced for all your help.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I cant give you specifics, but i would reccommend Amsoil synthetic in ALL categories. And yes, you can use synthetic in all, and i highly reccomend it. I would use 0-40 amsoil in the crank, as it is perfect in ALL temperatures. I use 80-90 in my front and rear (amsoil), but i would check a manual on your machine to make sure first of the weight

Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks but thats the problem, I do not have a manual so I do not know what is recomended. I have heard motor oil in the front and I have also heard 75/90 gear oil in the front. As for the engine I went to 3 auto places and the only thing I found for ATV was Valvoline. For the rear I have heard that you have to use wet brake oil, so I just bought that from the dealer. I have already changed the rear oil. Took just under 1 qt.

While I was there I asked how often I should change the oil. No one knew, then another guy said well, I would change it every 3-4 rides. I said that sounds very often. I told him it has 600 miles on it and he said yeah it is time, I would do it every 600 miles. I proceeded to tell him it took two years to put 600 miles on it and that is about 30+ rides. He just looked at me like ummm, uuuu...... Damn dealerships.

How often should the oil be changed?

I have bought and liked Amsoil in the past looking at thier site looks like these should work.
Amsoil 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil
And these two filters, not sure what the difference is, maybe one is longer.
EA Oil Filter
EA Oil Filter 2

Only problem is that I want to ride this weekend and I probably wont get the Amsoil in time. Maybe for this oil change I will just use the dealer oil and for the next time I will get the Amsoil stuff.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hopefully a few things that will help...some based on opinion/experience.

This info is from a 2004 Prairie 700, now a 2006 BF.

Front diff- .45 US QT SAE 10W-40 with Jaso MA rating (I use amsoil 10W-40 atv oil here)

Rear diff- .95 US qt Mobil 424, citgo transgard, Kawachem (easiest to find) This is a wet brake fluid.

Engine oil - 1.75 US qt with filter change (1.5 w/o filter) 10w-40 is good for 14 - 96 F according to book, but could adjust for temp. I also use Amsoil 10W-40 atv oil here also.

Regarding timing of changes, a guess based on your post is 2 x per year for all 3.

The Amsoil filters are fine, but I use Wix (same as Napa gold). Good balance between filtration and flow, but plenty of other great choices around. Many like a Walmart filter that fits, search past posts on filters for more info.

As far as this weekend, any oil should be fine. If not too hot where you are, 10-30 or 10-40 would be fine. There are hundreds of posts regarding using Mobil 1, other synthetics and non-syn oils for the Kawi v-twins with no problems. Throw some oil in it and run the tires off...just use the same oil as the engine in the front diff, the wet brake fluid in the back.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

do not use 0W in the engine. the service manual calls for 10W-40. (API SF or SG, or SH or SJ with JASO MA) use the same oil you use in the engine for the front diff. the rear diff needs Kawi wet brake oil or Mobil 424 (or other compatible wet brake oil, but don't experement)

over at nyrock's site there is a section in the Tech tips under "Prarie" that covers the oil requirements, and an oil filter chart with a bunch of compatible filters.

i use Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 in the engine and a Mobil 1 (m1-110) oil filter. that filter is a little longer than stock because it is made for a mazda miata car, but it fits and seals perfectly. i use Mobil products because it is easy to get them at wal-mart around here.

despite what many of us reccomend, regular old fossil oil within the specs above will work just fine and will not leave you unprotected. just change it regularly.

monty

Old 11-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for your input this helps me out a lot. I saw Lucas 10W-40 oil for motorcycles Lucas oil link but wasnt sure if that was good for it, so I didnt buy it. It was going to be that and the WIX filter.
I signed up to nyroc's site couple days ago to get into the tech section, but still have not gotten confirmation code.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

I spoke to someone that has been around everything automotive all his life, race cars, ATV's, JetSkis, etc and he said that he uses and recomends Mobil1 synthetic standard oil 5W-30 because in the Prairie and Twin Peaks which is a Prairie it is just an engine, there is no transmissions clutches, etc. As for the front diff 75/90 Mobil1 sythetic.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Engine Oil
It's OK to use Mobil 1 5W-30 which I've been using on my Kawi quads for last 3 years.

Diff Oil
Do NOT use 75W-90 on your front diff gear case. It's way too thick and you may experience gear seizures. Kawi recommens 10W-40. Just use what you use for your engine oil.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Hayashi

Diff Oil
Do NOT use 75W-90 on your front diff gear case. It's way too thick and you may experience gear seizures. Kawi recommens 10W-40. Just use what you use for your engine oil.
Hmm, he has been using the 75/90 Mobil1 gear oil in his. I think I may have some left over Amsoil 10W-40 that I no longer have a use for, if I do I will use that in the front end and I guess I will take back the 75/90 Mobil1 gear oil. In my Wolverine it recomended 75/90 in the front end. Is it because of the limited slip/locker in the front of the Prairie/Twin Peaks that you cant use gear oil?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Kawi manual recommends 10W-40 oil and that's all I know for sure. I also know some guys with seized up gear parts inside the gear case after using wrong type of oil. I am thinking that thicker oil can't lube or reach some parts of the gear box.

Quick Reply: Prairie 700 diff and engine oil questions